Experienced Cook Needs Sushi Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm no expert but here is what I do through my limited experience. As mentioned it is imperative that you have high quality rice cooked with vineager of your choosing (ph purposes). The second thing that I'm not sure whether or not was mentioned is that you have a bamboo mat to actually roll the sushi. Check that just read it. After you lay the sushi on the side with the smaller amount of rice make sure you are able to close the sushi roll with about three quarters of an inch remaining on the seaweed "pallette" and then just finish the roll (this is what gives the spiral and ensures the roll will remain closed). Hope this helped a little bit.

Thanks buddy! Since this thread started Ive actually become an authority on sushi. I have purchased bamboo mats and have learned much about it. The margin on top is key for a successful roll.

A lady friend of mine came over and she showed me how to roll "inside out" by laying rice down on ceram wrap, them laying seaweed above, with the contents ontop of the seaweed, which is ontop of the rice. the procedure is the same as a normal roll, with the ceram wrap removed at the end to reveal well rolled "rice on outside" sushi rolls. Poppy or sesame seeds or dabs of wasabi are welcome additions to coat the outside.

kitchenelf said:
1/3 cup mayonnaise
2 TBS Sriracha Sauce

I love the Sriracha/Mayo combo for smoked eel. Anyway I think you might appreciate this, I was making pasta salad with crab meat and mayo and I mixed in some chinese chili oil (aka mongolian fire oil) with the mayo and it blends wonderfully. You might want to try that combination for sushi sometime.

Also: I love making desert rolls. I mix in a little coconut milk with the sushi rice and candy up sesame seeds by mixing them with syrup. The inside of the roll are long slices of mango, so it's similar to that great mango desert you can get at most thai, philipino and malasian restaurants.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lugaru said:
I love the Sriracha/Mayo combo for smoked eel. Anyway I think you might appreciate this, I was making pasta salad with crab meat and mayo and I mixed in some chinese chili oil (aka mongolian fire oil) with the mayo and it blends wonderfully. You might want to try that combination for sushi sometime.

Also: I love making desert rolls. I mix in a little coconut milk with the sushi rice and candy up sesame seeds by mixing them with syrup. The inside of the roll are long slices of mango, so it's similar to that great mango desert you can get at most thai, philipino and malasian restaurants.

Great Ideas!!

Im going to the store tomorrow....shopping is so fun when you have new ideas.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a few questions about the sushi desert:
As far as the rice is concerned, I actually made jasmine coconut rice the other night and it came out relatively sticky; almost as sticky as sushi rice itself due to the milk I would assume. Do you think that using the milk alone instead of putting rice vinegar in as well would suffice.

Also as far as differents tastes go, do you think a mango pineapple with a strawberry sauce and roasted coconut instead of sesame seeds would taste good or is that too many different tastes.
I was also thinking of a strawberry bannana with drizzled chocolate and chopped nuts on the rice. Please let me know what you think seeing as how I am not familiar with actually pairing things together.
Thank you!

First off, I would recommend not using any Nori.

I would still use a bit of rice vinegar with extra honey or brown sugar coupled with the milk. (make sure the sugar/honey cuts the vinegar odor, if you have to add a bit of salt too) it should help keep it sticky.

I think you may want to keep it alittle more simple, for example, the mango pineapple would be good with a little honey dip (1/2 honey + 1/3 milk) (or drizzle honey) but the strawberry sauce may be good on the side too (personally, id love to try it, just wouldnt want to use alot).

I love the strawberry banana /choco drizzle idea, Im so trying that.

I hope my advice helps alittle. Great ideas here! :chef: Chef on!

Thanks a lot for the ideas! As far as the Nori goes, should I substitute it with anything or just make a rice pallet persay?

I heard some people using fruit roll ups or fruit by the foot, I am trying to think of something a bit more fresh or not as overbearing, like a simple string of licorice or taking a banana and using a rolling pin to flatten it and use that. Im just brainstorming here, but I would recommend using fresh fruit. lemon grass may work as a bind, or a simple dough with chocolate or vanilla frosting.

If possible you can just 86* the fruity nori and just roll the rice with a fruity center, or simply lay the fruit ontop the rice. a chocolate dipping sauce or candied sesame seeds are always great additions (candy sesame seeds with syrup). The fruit rollup idea doesnt sound bad I wouldnt be afraid to give that a try as a last resort.

Last edited:
I think the fruit rollup would probably be best suited for something like rice crispy sushi if anything because as you said it would take away from the fruits themselves being too overpowering not to mention I just don't think it would mix well with the flavors. I myself am hung up as far as what to use as a binding ingredient now. I may give the nori a shot for the simple fact that I'm not sure as to how strong the taste would actually be in comparison to the fruit and dipping sauces.

I, personally, like fruit rolls using nori. I like that flavor combination. I wouldn't like the fruit rollup as that would be too sweet. For a children's birthday party I bet making "fruit sushi" would be a big hit! Rice krispies bound together with a bit of marshmallow fluff for the rice maybe?

I have made fruit rolls uisng strawberries and cream cheese, another roll using cantelope, and I have even made a roll using salmon, cantelope, and cilantro. Even though the rolls have fruit in them I still like to dip them in a soy-based sauce, something like a ponzu with a bit more orange juice in it. I use the exact same rice I make my normal rolls out of.

Your coconut idea versus sesame seeds sounds AWESOME!

Good stuff kitchen elf. I've only done dessert sushi a few times, and I didnt roll it at all. I just put the rice in a bowl topped with fruit.

I like idea of mixing fruit and fish, Ive done avocado (not a fruit?) /shrimp rolls, mango /salmon, and pineapple/ bell pepper /snapper.

Back
Top Bottom