Experienced Cook Needs Sushi Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BBQ Mikey

Sous Chef
Ok guys, Im an experienced cook, but Sushi I have no experience making.

I understand the principle, you need to make sushi rice, (seems like the most important component) then the seaweed and fillings.

Heres my question. For the Sushi rice, all I have in my apt. are pots and pans, I dont have a steemer, will i get by? How should I make the Sushi rice?
I plan to just use white rice, cook once til fluffy, refridgerate once doused with sugar and rice vinegar, then use the next day. Hows that sound?

The seaweed I plan to wet slightly before use, and then I will have to hand roll it since i have no bamboo sheet or whatever.

Any advice is much appreciated, Ill be using Imitation crab and Smoked Salmon for starters.:chef:

Welcome to DC, BBQ Mikey.

Sushi rice is a pecific type of rice. You need a medium grain rice. Regular long grain white rice will not work.

You can cook rice without a steamer, I do it all the time. Here's how I do it:

3⅓ C Sushi Rice
4 C Water
¼ C Water

6 Tb Rice Vinegar
5 Tb Sugar
1 Tb Salt

Rinse rice under running water until the water runs clear then drain in a colander for 1 hour.

Place the drained rice in a pot with a tight-fitting lid and add 4 cups water.

Over medium heat, cover and bring the water to a boil. Boil for about 2 minutes, reduce heat and allow it to simmer for another 5 minutes.

Reduce heat to low and cook for about 15 minutes, or until water has been absorbed.

Remove from the heat, remove lid, and place a towel over pot. Replace lid and let stand for 10 to 15 minutes.

While the rice cooks, combine vinegar, sugar, salt and ¼ cup water in a saucepan. Heat over low temperature, stirring, until sugar and salt dissolve. Set aside to cool.

Empty rice into a non-metallic tub and spread it evenly over the bottom with a large wooden spoon.

Run the spoon through the rice in slicing motions to separate the grains. While doing this, slowly add vinegar mixture. Add only as much as is necessary; the rice should not be mushy.

If you have help, fan the rice with a fan during the cooling and mixing procedures.

Do not refrigerate the rice. Keep it in the tub covered with a clean cloth until ready to use. The rice will last one day.

Also, do not wet the seaweed. Use it dry. If you bought some that is pre-roasted, you're good to go.

If you don't have a bamboo mat, try rolling the sushi on a thin towel covered with plastic wrap.

Everything Andy said is valid.

Don't try to use regular long grain rice. It just will not work. You need more starch than long grain will give you. Medium grain is what you want.

Keep your hands wet when working with the rise. It will keep it from sticking to you.

The only thing I would add to what Andy said is when you have your rice covered with a clean cloth, I would recommend the cloth be damp. It is not necessary, but you might find it a little easier that way.

Well, I tried for the first time and I am :-p :-p

It wasnt the most beautiful thing ever, i messed a few up, but it sure was fun and alot came out great!

I used imitation crab meat and baby cucumbers. It was delish.

I also made my own wasabi.

I rolled it by hand, using no tools. Rolling wasnt easy, but cutting was even harder!!! Help me out with this!

The sushi rice came out a bit sticky and slightly gooey but I liked it very much that way!

The rice should be sticky but not gooey. Cooking times and temperatures could be the cause.

The trick to cutting the rolls is to use a very sharp knife with a wet blade. Dip the blade in water between slices and keep wiping the blade.

you couldnt be more right about that cutting technique,

Thanks a bunch buddy!! :LOL:

wow, good job, and what a bold move!

I can cook great sushi rice.

here's some i made, gaijin style...with soy sauce and chiltepin flakes

img_438600_0_a3cbd46698904b6fd4b71db3567cc012.jpg

Ive never made sushi rolls!

Perhaps it's time i travel down this path.

How difficult is the act of actually rolling it up?

Those bamboo mats are very inexpensive, and you can buy them in most big supermarkets--any place you can buy nori will probably have mats, too.

Not difficult at all to roll them up. The first one will look awful (but taste fine) and you will get better and better with each one you make.

Sushi is a great thing to do with kids. Even fussy kids can find something they like to roll up in rice and seaweed--lunch meat, carrot slivers, shrimp.

Mylegsbig said:
wow, good job, and what a bold move!

I can cook great sushi rice.

here's some i made, gaijin style...with soy sauce and chiltepin flakes

img_441259_0_a3cbd46698904b6fd4b71db3567cc012.jpg

Ive never made sushi rolls!

Perhaps it's time i travel down this path.

How difficult is the act of actually rolling it up?

That rice looks great. Its not hard to roll.

Anyone have any advice on a spicy crab filling? Im currently mashing up imitation crab with tabasco, franks hot sauce, and chili flakes....

I never make the rice in a steamer, just cook it. The recipe given is just what I do. I'm a purist, no hot peppers or other seasonings in it (although it looks delicious). You don't want the rice to be "fluffy", you want it a little starchy and clingy so that it holds together when rolled. I use Cal-Rose brand rice, it is what almost everyone used in Hawaii when I lived there, and most importantly, I can actually find it here in small-town midwest. I just threw a luau-themed brunch, and I have a neighbor loves to make sushi. Because of our location and knowing our friends, he made mostly vegetable rolls and some krab rolls, and they were such a hit that I hid away a plate of it for us to eat today! Am I selfish or what?

The single most important thing, I think, to making really good rice is to wash it first. With sushi rice you may want to wash it two or three times, and soak it for five to ten minutes before cooking it. This makes sure that the rice is cooked and pleasantly moist all the way through.

Also, it's usually best to roll the sushi while the rice is still warm (not hot, but warm) so that the seaweed glues properly. (You can cool it afterwards.)

Valerian said:
The single most important thing, I think, to making really good rice is to wash it first. With sushi rice you may want to wash it two or three times, and soak it for five to ten minutes before cooking it. This makes sure that the rice is cooked and pleasantly moist all the way through.

Also, it's usually best to roll the sushi while the rice is still warm (not hot, but warm) so that the seaweed glues properly. (You can cool it afterwards.)

Thanks for the tips! I normally chill the rice 1st, (and must agree, it needs washed thoroughly), Ive rolled warm, didnt notice much difference, but now that I think of it, they were in fact glued more proper than attempting with cold rice. I would def. have to chill, since I dislike warm sushi rolls.

Well, it's too late now but for any spicy roll, spicy crab, spicy tuna, etc. you will need:

1/3 cup mayonnaise
2 TBS Sriracha Sauce
1/2 tsp. toasted sesame oil (the dark sesame oil - it should say toasted on the bottle)
1 tsp. orange masago (but not necessary)

Mix up and let sit for about 1 hour.

You can then determine if you want it hotter.

You can either squirt this on the roll or dice up your ingredients and toss with the spicy sauce. Either way is good.

If you really like heat you can always dot it with straight Sriracha.

Valerian said:

Well, I don't know if I agree with leaving the rice warm and then wrapping it around raw fish - unless you eat it RIGHT away.

I've always cooled my vinegared/seasoned rice completely and you have to be careful with mixing the rice. Do it in the widest bowl you have (glass or porcelain, not aluminum, and use a wooden paddle to stir. Do it like you are folding whipped cream into a chocolate mousse. From the outside to the middle and turn over (someone needs to fan the rice to make it cool faster), turn the bowl and do it again all around and don't stop until rice is cool. It might be slightly warm but just barely. Believe me, the rice will still stick to the seaweed.

I agree. My rice preparation instructions include fanning the rice to cool it after mixing in the sweetened rice wine.

Also, you should not refrigerate the prepared rice as it will harden and crystallize.

Andy M. said:
I agree. My rice preparation instructions include fanning the rice to cool it after mixing in the sweetened rice wine.

Also, you should not refrigerate the prepared rice as it will harden and crystallize.

Ah, I see where this is getting mixed up. ^-^;; I thought you meant that you cooled the rice in the refridgerator before rolling the sushi. Room-temp (or just a bit cooler) rice works OK. It just needs to still have that pliable quality. Warm rice does work better for glueing though.

I never thought of the raw fish/warm rice thing. Do you think that the short time the raw fish is exposed to the warm rice is enough to breed salmonella etc.?

I think for that short a time the fish is ok next to the rice. I prefer my rice on the outside anyway so it never touches the fish.

And yes, cooling the rice is all down OUTSIDE the refrigerator - just by fanning and turning. I have made rolls with rice that was in the fridge and it suited my needs, which was breakfast! :LOL: ;)

Breakfast sushi :huh: Interesting. I read about this NY restraunt using seaweed in omelets.

As for the rice cooking method, I really shouldnt refrigerate....I just get excited and impatient.

Mmm, I had the best sushi once.... Mango and raw salmon. Truly a transcendent experience.

But yes! No fridgey rice!

kitchenelf said:
Well, it's too late now but for any spicy roll, spicy crab, spicy tuna, etc. you will need:

1/3 cup mayonnaise
2 TBS Sriracha Sauce
1/2 tsp. toasted sesame oil (the dark sesame oil - it should say toasted on the bottle)
1 tsp. orange masago (but not necessary)

Mix up and let sit for about 1 hour.

You can then determine if you want it hotter.

You can either squirt this on the roll or dice up your ingredients and toss with the spicy sauce. Either way is good.

If you really like heat you can always dot it with straight Sriracha.

Thanks for the tip. I altered my recipe after reading yours. What I do is I have a jar or minced hot pepper from a chinese grocer in NY, and theres this red "juice" in the flakes that i pour in the crab, along with some flakes. I add a few dried pepper flakes, and a dash of hot chili and garlic sauce and a dash soy, and then toasted sesame oil. Tastes SO much better than my previous attempt at spicing, same heat but more of an asian tinge which is what I wanted.

Is Sriracha just hot pepper spiced oil? Thats what I thought it was so I just subbed in my hot red pepper juice.

Back
Top Bottom