Flaky crispy egg rolls

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

inchrisin

Senior Cook
I'm going to try to make egg rolls for the first time. I'm pretty confident that I've got the filling that I want. I'm curious to know how I can get the right texture on the wrapper. It seems like some egg rolls have a flat finish and tend to be less crispy. The wrapper that I'd like to make would blister, bubble, flake, and have a texture to it. I'm not seeing anything in writing and I'm wondering how I can achieve this.

https://www.google.com/search?q=egg...ICigB&biw=1920&bih=1094#imgrc=vpawyf1z_xUNOM:

Spring rolls are "flatter" and how crispy they are depends a lot on how well they are cooked.

I don't think I've ever had an egg roll that wasn't blistery and a bit flaky.

Are you buying the wrapper or making them? I'd suggest the former.

Mine come out bumpy and crispy like Andy said using egg roll wrapppers and shallow fried in peanut oil.

IMG_2448.JPG

Inchrisin,

Eggrolls are normally wheat flour .. The texture you want, can be simply achieved with the eggroll wrappers made of wheat flour.

Spring rolls are Riz = Rice flour as in photo above from Sir Lion ..

Wheat flour spring roll wrappers are much thinner than egg roll wrappers, thus their smoother texture. They are also smaller.

Last edited:
Great info. Thanks everyone. I'm buying the wrappers. I've seen them come out pretty flat, yet the chef swore she fried them. They'd look like this:

https://www.google.com/search?q=egg...UICigB&biw=1680&bih=944#imgrc=ovCvy72Vycp4ZM:

Don't get me wrong. They're good. But they're not exceptional. If I'm spending 2 to 3 hours on these little guys you know I want them to be worth it. :)

Those were made with spring roll wrappers, not the thicker egg roll wrapper -- that's why they are smooth and flat.

Last edited:
Funny that I should come across this thread today. Yesterday we ordered take out which included egg rolls. They were really blistery. In fact they were done too well. The edges were hard and not fit to eat. They were overcooked with a tiny amount of burnt. The rest were fine, but I would have preferred that they had been taken out of the fat earlier.

Here's hoping your turn out perfect! Good luck.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom