German Fair food

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My husband's niece and her husband have a German Restuarent and Delli in Black Mountain North Carolina. ( very close to Ashville N,C,) REAL German food..he was born in Munich (sp?) They do import their food from Germany.
Kitchenelf has eaten there.
Marge

urmaniac13 said:
DANKE!!

Ja, ja, ja!! I look forward to it!! My mouth is already watering at the thought!! Have a lovely weekend!!

Hi Licia,

I posted the Christstollen recipe today in a separate thread here in the ethnic forum :)

Iris:chef:

Jajaja, I saw it!! I was not on this forum yesterday and look what I missed!! Well Christmas is still a few month away so no hurry I guess, but I don't think we can wait that long to try this!! Thanks so much Iris!!

you shoul bake it now and hide it at a secret place so at christmas the stollen will be unbelievable... DON'T EAT!! :mrgreen:
Stollen tastes better when its older...

Hide it for 3 months? And it gets better? whoa....
39.gif
but I am not sure if it is possible as long as I KNOW that it is there!!
4.gif

Licia,

Cara is right that the Stollen gets better the longer it has time to develop all the flavors.
And you can keep it wrapped in plastic foil up to 10 weeks. (store it in a coll place but not in the refridgerator) ( it has to be a stollen like this, with lots of butter in it etc., in Germany we call it "heavy"; then you can keep it that long!) Best time to start baking your Christstollen would be end of november, beginning of december, so that is enough time 'til christmas. But if you like to eat your first piece of Stollen at 1. Advent you definately should start earlier ;-)))))))))

Iris :)

Wow, incredible!! I would have thought 10 week old cake would only be good as a replacement for a brick!! Well right now it is still too hot in Rome but when it starts getting cooler I will give it a go!! While my stollen is maturing I guess I will have to distract myself with some peanut butter cookies!!
3.gif

Schashlick

I was in Bavaria for 3 years in the Air Force and the schalashlick I had in most parts of Bavaria (even in Amsterdam) was made with liver and small onions skewered, broiled and swimming in a rich curry-tomato sauce. I don't have a recipe but use about a cup of catchup with a Tablespoon of curry added - it comes close to what I had eaten in Germany. I'm sure their sauce had more ingredients.

Our Renaissance Fest. is opening a new Beer Garden this season and I plan on serving light German favorites like brauts&kraut ,pretzels, mustard pickles etc.And of course beer. Does anyone have any other favorites they would recommend? Grilled items will work best and side dishes. Thanks.
I know this was a long time ago but here's my two penn'orth.

Not exactly German but Wiener schnitzel and my childhood/teenage and beyond Austrian friend's mother's potato salad with a vinaigrette-type dressing rather than a mayo one. It was divine. I never asked her for the recipe and try as I might I can't replicate it. And the Backhendel we used to have at Heurigen in Grinzing - Mmmm!

Desserts? I have a recipe for Sachertorte that is as close as you can get to the version served in Demel on the Kohlmarkt in Vienna. Oddly enough it's in a Marks & Spencer cookery book! It doesn't claim to be the original recipe but I think it's as good as it gets. And qwetschenkuchen(spelling?) - yum!

Last edited:
Please, please, don't go the way of other "Renaissance" festivals by serving modern food with "Ye Olde" names. There are plenty of yummy treats which are appropriate to the time and place.

OK, maybe I have an axe to grind. Once upon a time, I was at the Renaissance Pleasure Faire in Agoura, California, a paying customer in a pretty good costume. I was approached by two women in better costumes who had a lot of unsolicited criticism of the shape of my hat and the trim on my skirt. All this in front of the Beef Teriyaki on a Stick and Churros stands. Well, so much for the veracity of the Authenticity Police!

Here is a German cookbook from the year 1533, translated into English. Use goodies from here!

Sabrina_Welserin.html
:eek:

You know what? My hubby and I thoroughly enjoyed that old cookbook you posted! He pulled up an extra chair to the desk and we sat right here reading that and talking about it for nearly an HOUR!

Thank you sooooooo much, SeleneSue!

Dang, I should have joined here when Cat first told me about it! *Kicks self*

Sorry, I'm off-topic.

I went to a bunch of Renaissance Faires in Germany when I was stationed there, and I did love the chickens on the spits! And a fine roasted bratwurst was another favorite....oooooo, yummy, with hot, spicy mustard.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom