Ghee (clarified butter) at room temperature

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
"Even in refrigerator it should still be farily soft, kind of like margarine."

Mine isn't. Wonder what the difference is.

LOL

Are you agreeing or disagreeing with me (cave76) or the first person who said that ghee should be fairly soft?

My ghee is hard in the fridge--- really almost rock hard.

The joys of talking on the Internet :)

LOL

Are you agreeing or disagreeing with me (cave76) or the first person who said that ghee should be fairly soft?

My ghee is hard in the fridge--- really almost rock hard.

The joys of talking on the Internet :)

I was disagreeing with Charlie and agreeing with you.

My Ghee, whether I make it myself or buy it from the market, goes into the fridge and is very hard. If it is on the counter, it will soften a bit, but I keep it refrigerated and take out what I need with a knife.

I use a lot of Ghee because it takes out most of the lactose and casein that bothers TB and I. It is great for scampi, asparagus, pasta with garlic butter, etc. Much better than margarine. There are times though that I can't use it in place of butter, like baking - here I use a non-soy or dairy margarine.

I admit I haven't read all of this thread so if I have contradicted anyone, my apologies. I am just going by what I do and know.

MrsLMB----- that sounds like a good idea! Thanks. Maybe even freeze it in a dedicated ice cube tray and then take them out and put in ziplocks to put in the freezer? I like how all our ideas generate other ideas.

I love the ice cube tray for so many things. If you find you need a certain amount more consistantly, you can measure that amount into the individual spots, let it harden and keep it in a larger mason jar in your fridge.

Personally, I'd keep it on the counter. The recipes I've seen make several pints so pull out what you need.

Sorry to hijack your thread with a question but ... what is the difference between clarified butter and ghee?

I love the ice cube tray for so many things. If you find you need a certain amount more consistantly, you can measure that amount into the individual spots, let it harden and keep it in a larger mason jar in your fridge.

Personally, I'd keep it on the counter. The recipes I've seen make several pints so pull out what you need.

Sorry to hijack your thread with a question but ... what is the difference between clarified butter and ghee?
Ghee is cooked much longer than what we usually call clarified butter. It is cooked long enough that the solids caramelize and change the flavour of the butter oil. Ghee is a form of clarified butter.

Ghee - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Ghee will keep on the counter for months. However if it is going to be awhile between uses I will stick it in the fridge until I need it again. I keep mine in a microwave safe container so I can melt it if I need to. It will harden somewhat even at room temp, unless you keep your kitchen very very warm indeed.

I should say, properly made ghee. It must be slow-cooked until all the solids brown and drop to the bottom, then strained to leave all the solids behind.

Update from me, the original poster.

I've been keeping my ghee out on the counter now (the rest is frozen). No mold, as there was in a first jar I kept out----- I don't know why that jar developed some mold/suspicious spots on it.

It's been fine.

Update from me, the original poster.

I've been keeping my ghee out on the counter now (the rest is frozen). No mold, as there was in a first jar I kept out----- I don't know why that jar developed some mold/suspicious spots on it.

It's been fine.
There was probably some contamination in the first jar, maybe something off a spoon you dipped into the jar.

If the ghee is properly smoked or heated it will remain good for years without refrigeration , we keep ghee like this way in our hot and humid climate.

Older ghee is better in taste and it also used in Ayurvedic remedies.

If the ghee is properly smoked or heated it will remain good for years without refrigeration , we keep ghee like this way in our hot and humid climate.

Older ghee is better in taste and it also used in Ayurvedic remedies.
That's what I thought. I was hoping you would chime in. :)

Back
Top Bottom