Ghee (clarified butter) at room temperature

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cave76

Washing Up
I make ghee because I cook Indian food often/occasionally and also use it for other cooking.
What I know is I'm told to keep it in the 'fridge' for safety. Now, the dilemma -----if it's cold I can barely scoop out spoonfuls of it to use it's so hard.

I can, of course, melt it a little in the microwave----- but-----can I say I'm lazy? and wondering if heating in the MW over and over is o.k. (I put the ghee in pint jars for the 'fridge.)

So. I would like 'personal experiences' about keeping it on the countertop. I won't hold you responsible for my ruined ghee---;)-- just want to know.

If the consensus is NO------ I guess I'll have to get those little sauce plastic cups and put a couple of tablespoons in each them and freeze or refrigerate them.

Did I say I'm lazy?

We've had discussions about keeping regular butter on the counter vs. refrigerating. The consensus has been that many keep butter on the counter, as our mothers and grandmothers did, for up to 2 weeks I believe. I'm currently leaving my butter on the counter, makes it so much easier for toast, etc. I think it would work for ghee as well, just my thoughts, especially since the milk solids are gone. And as I recall, many cultures that use ghee don't have access to refrigeration.

Last edited:
I have a Butter Bell. The word for Butter is in French on the side. The following is a picture of what one looks like. Mine is very pretty. It holds one stick of butter. You put the soft butter in the top half, a small amount of ice water in the bottom half and change the water every day. You put the top half in upside down into the water. Butter stays fresh and soft.

:angel:

Ghee is OK at room temp. but not forever. Removal of all the non-fat stuff in butter allows the butter fat to last longer without going rancid.

Thanks to all------ after I sent my question it occurred to me that I keep reg. butter on the counter all the time! Duh. Haven't gotten sick yet!
I guess never putting a 'dirty' spoon back in the ghee would also help---- no added bacteria to the ghee.

We have always kept our butter in the fridge :)

Ghee, if made fresh should be used within a couple weeks and can be kept out of the fridge

I personally would keep it in the fridge though, my personal opinion

It solidifies in the cold and liquefies in the heat

You could always cool it down and put it in a ziploc bag. Lay it flat in the fridge then just break off what you need when you are ready to use it. It will stay cold and it will be easy to use.

MrsLMB----- that sounds like a good idea! Thanks. Maybe even freeze it in a dedicated ice cube tray and then take them out and put in ziplocks to put in the freezer? I like how all our ideas generate other ideas.

Yesterday I bought a jar of clarified butter (ghee) at Trader Joe's. Evidently it's a new item there, and the jar says "Does not require refrigeration, store in a cool dry place."

I've never used ghee before, but I'm looking forward to cooking with it and the smoke point being so much lower.
It sure was tasty on my English Muffin this morning.

... I'm looking forward to cooking with it and the smoke point being so much lower...[/QUOTE]

Smoke point is higher for the ghee.

Duh...guess I said it wrong.:wacko: You can use higher heat, right?

Right! A higher smoke point means it takes a higher temp to make the oil smoke. Oil's smoking means it's breaking down and will begin to negatively impact the flavor of the food.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom