Ghost peppers are officially terrifying!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It appears that lots of cooks play with their parts. :whistling

View it as a lesson to wash up Before and After. ;)

Can we be too clean in the kitchen? :rolleyes:

OCD aside, Be careful folks. Simple meal prep can be dangerous. :ermm:

Ghost peppers are hot. But they do have a nice flavor that accompanies that heat. Used in moderation they can add layers to a dish.

I would add that since capsaicin is not water-soluble, washing with water or drinking beer, water, etc., isn't going to help much. It just spreads the chemical around. Capsaicin is fat-soluble, so eating sour cream or drinking milk works better.

I would add that since capsaicin is not water-soluble, washing with water or drinking beer, water, etc., isn't going to help much. It just spreads the chemical around. Capsaicin is fat-soluble, so eating sour cream or drinking milk works better.

Dairy products are the recommended products for relief from self imposed pain. :angel:

Dairy products are the recommended products for relief from self imposed pain. :angel:

Self imposed pain is the key here.

As kids ( subjective) we had fun rocking ourselves with what was available.

Bread was always a way to escape over indulgence.

Ghost peppers

Ha! We just had a discussion about ghost peppers over the Thanksgiving holiday here. My son-in-law had a hilarious story about a practical joke he played on his fellow firefighters that involved ghost peppers that one of them grew. Let's just say they are really, really hot, lol. Don't even try to eat them. Not even a sliver.

Ha! We just had a discussion about ghost peppers over the Thanksgiving holiday here. My son-in-law had a hilarious story about a practical joke he played on his fellow firefighters that involved ghost peppers that one of them grew. Let's just say they are really, really hot, lol. Don't even try to eat them. Not even a sliver.

I've eaten whole ghost peppers without distress. My poor DW can't even get near enough to smell them without discomfort. I think it involves genetics, and getting used to eating rediculously hot stuff, starting with milder peppers and working up the Scoville scale.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I've eaten whole ghost peppers without distress....

Really? I'd like to see that. Not saying it isn't possible, but I have a buddy who used to claim there was no hot chile he couldn't eat. He always had a bottle of Dave's Insanity Sauce sitting on his desk at work and put it on everything imaginable. I have also personally seen him eat habaneros like candy.

But the Ghost Pepper Wing Challenge at a local bar brought him to tears a little more than halfway through it. He finally had to admit he had met his match and couldn't finish. I had a bite of one wing. Now I love fiery foods, but it was more than I could handle. It wasn't anything that was remotely enjoyable. :ohmy:

From what I understand, in India they make a spray from Bhut Jolokia that they put on fences to keep elephants away.

Last edited:
Really? I'd like to see that. Not saying it isn't possible, but I have a buddy who used to claim there was no hot chile he couldn't eat. He always had a bottle of Dave's Insanity Sauce sitting on his desk at work and put it on everything imaginable. I have also personally seen him eat habaneros like candy.

But the Ghost Pepper Wing Challenge at a local bar brought him to tears a little more than halfway through it. He finally had to admit he had met his match and couldn't finish. I had a bite of one wing. Now I love fiery foods, but it was more than I could handle. It wasn't anything that was remotely enjoyable. :ohmy:

From what I understand, in India they make a spray from Bhut Jolokia that they put on fences to keep elephants away.

My witness is a Doctor who just happen to attend the same church as I do, and who also grows ghost peppers. He challenges every new missionary to just have a nibble. He is famous in this neck of the woods for his peppers. He challenged me to eat one, as he knows I like hot foods. I took a nibble and was easily able to handle that. I took a larger bite, and it was no problem. He said that I needed to eat the rest in a single mouthful. I did. It was hot, but not something that caused me pain. The good doctor stated that my face turned fairly red.

When I make hot chili for our chili cookoff, I have to use other people's taste-buds to tell me how hot the chili is. I can tell that it's hot, but not how hot.

I remember my first food with Tabasco Sauce on it. I thought my head was going to explode. Now, I can't even feel the heat of Tabasco brand sauces. Things that used to be hot to me are now almost devoid of heat. Slim Jim original sausages used to have me running to the drinking fountain. I really can't taste any heat in that sausage anymore. And yet, salt is still salty, sugar is still sweet, and I can still determine what herbs and spices are used in dishes that I sample.

I don't understand how it works. For all I know, I'm simply, and effectively ignoring the pain. I've had to ignore some pretty severe pain in my lifetime, and have gotten pretty good at it.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I took baskets of peppers to the local bar to give away.
I brought ghost peppers each time along with other peppers and produce I grew in my garden.
One guy thought it would be no big deal and sliced the ghost pepper in half and bit it off the stem.
He was in the bathroom for quite a while and later told me he would never do that again.

This thread is very old and it seems that ghost peppers are no longer the hottest pepper. I understand the hottest pepper was propagated and grown here in SC.
Its called the Carolina Reaper.

Heres the list:
https://www.crazyhotseeds.com/top-10-worlds-hottest-peppers/

Last edited:
We have 2 jars of ghost pepper salt that I am gradually using when I need both salt and heat in a dish. I can't imagine eating a ghost pepper straight.

The hottest pepper wing challenge I've heard of involved the Naga Viper. It's hotter than the ghost pepper.

The reason your friend probably failed probably is not that he couldn't handle a single pepper, but the cumulative effect of eating multiple wings, with more and more capsacan loading up on his tongue. Eat one pepper and your good. Eat four or five and the heat just keeps building. Some folks who stated my hot chile wasn't very hot, at a local chile contest, came back after 3 or 4 more bites, sweating and looking like they'd just eaten something a bit hotter than they were prepared for. The wanted something to cool the burn in the worst way.

Yep, there is instant heat in peppers. But there is more when you eat them, or products made with them over a short time.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

The hottest pepper wing challenge I've heard of involved the Naga Viper. It's hotter than the ghost pepper.
The Naga Viper is old news. It's since been replaced by the "Carolina Reaper" as the world's hottest chile. But does it really matter once you get past a certain point?

Back on the subject of ghost peppers, I have a new salsa recipe I've been making a lot of lately. It has a base of tomatillos and garlic, but gets most of its flavor from a number of dried chiles, including arbol, guajillo, and ancho. I also recently started adding dried ghost peppers to it (just a pinch). I've found the dried product doesn't have nearly as much heat as the fresh, but still has a lot of the same fruity notes.

I just saw the title of this thread and realized this was a post from when I first joined in 2012! Awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking

DW got me these peppers, from a company called Pendery's, ground into powder and packaged in 1.6 oz. packets. Pendery's specializes in hot peppers. They are from hottest on down:
1. Carolina Reaper - 2,000,000+ SHU
2. 7 Pod Douglah - 1.8 million SHU
3. Scorpio Trinidad Moruga - 1.2 to 2 millian SHU
4. Buhk Jalokia (Ghost Pepper) - 1,000,000 SHU

I believe these are the four hottest peppers on the planet.

I have a brother in law who loves my salsa with the Carolina Reapers, Japones, and Ghost Peppers in it. He loves the heat and the flavor. I gave him a jar last Christmas and he ate the pint bottle in one sitting. This year, I gave him a quart of the salsa. His eyes lit up and he had a big smile on his face.

The same is true with a lady from our church. She loves rediculosly hot food. I gave her a pint. She told me that she went out and bought a salad, poured all of the salsa on top and enjoyed every bite.

My eldest daughter, PAG, also loves the same kind of heat.

And as was stated earlier, these peppers have great flavor, if you are of the ilk that can handle the heat.

I also believe that if it causes pain, don't eat it to show how tough you are. That's just silly. But if you really enjoy the heat, without pain, and the flavor, then by all means, eat away.

I guess those who don't believe people can eat ghost peppers and hotter, just don't know as any chili heads as I do. And yes, I also know the pretenders who think they can handle truly hot chilies, but can't.

Oh, and by the way, not all chilies of a certain variety have the same heat. I ate a simple, baked jalepino from a great Mexican place in Kentwood, MI that had me gasping, it was so hot.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Last edited:
Ghost pepper used to be used as an Elephant pest control and not human food. So when elephants came to dine on the farmers crop , the first thing they got was peppers and would leave.

I had brought Craig some dried ghost peppers a while back and remembered them when I needed a hot dried chile for the harissa paste I was making. Since I was scared of it being too hot, I only used a small piece of the smallest chile in the bag. Have to say, the finished harissa paste was pretty good and definitely not overly spicy. I'll use a bigger piece next time. Course my tolerance isn't exactly normal after being exposed for years to Craig's preference for really spicy food.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom