Goat & Lamb Curry, Jamaican style recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dragnlaw

Site Team
Staff member
I can't find where I got this recipe off the internet, I do remember my printer wasn't working so I handwrote it. I have no idea if the wording is mine or not, I hope I'm not infringing on anyones rights.

I used both goat (with bone) and lamb (no bones) a total of 2 k (about 4 lbs). Be sure to adjust your ingredients to balance or you'll end up with enough liquid to feed the whole village. :rolleyes: see note at bottom.

Ingredients:

• 5-6 lbs of lamb/goat cut into one inch cubes
  • 6 scallions, coarsely chopped
  • 3 large onions, chopped (divided, I used 2+2 medium)
  • 1-3 Scotch bonnet peppers (I used 4 birdeye chilies)
  • 1 tsp. ground pimento (allspice)
  • 1+1/2 Tbsp. of salt (or to taste)
  • 2 Tbsp. fresh ground black pepper
  • 6 Tbsp. Jamaican curry powder, divided (recipe to follow - but I used store bought)
  • 2 Tbsp. unsalted butter
  • 1/4 cup coconut oil (or peanut oil)
  • 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
  • 4 cups of water or chicken stock
  • 1 cup of coconut milk (I threw in the whole can which is almost doubling it)
  • Juice of 1-2 limes
Directions:

Day before:
Mix meat, scallions, half the onions, hot peppers, allspice, salt, black pepper, and 4 Tbsp of curry powder. Use your hands to rub the mixture into the meat well. (I was still wearing gloves from chopping the hot pepper and am glad as the turmeric can really stain.) Cover and refrigerate overnight.

Next day, heat the butter and coconut oil, add 2 Tbsp. curry powder, mix well. Add the garlic and the rest of the onions and brown. Dump in the meat, mixing well. Add stock, coconut milk and lime juice. Cover and let simmer 2+1/2 to 3 hours or until meat is tender.

It was noted that carrots & potatoes are often added at the end or serve with rice.

Caribbean Curry Powder:

1 oz. coriander seeds
1 oz. cumin seeds
1 Tbsp poppy seeds
1/2 Tbsp clove
1 Tbsp mustard seeds (preferably brown)
1 oz. peppercorns
2 oz. ground turmeric
1 oz. ground ginger

Toast coriander, cumin, poppy, and mustard seeds in heavy pan til mustard seeds start to jump. Grind in mortar or spice mill. Mix in turmeric and ginger. Finely sieve and store in a glass jar.

General rule of thumb, 1 Tbsp for each 2 lbs of meat.

I can't find where I got this recipe off the internet, I do remember my printer wasn't working so I handwrote it. I have no idea if the wording is mine or not, I hope I'm not infringing on anyones rights.
I think you may have got it from this website (scroll down the page a little)

Paleo/Primal Lamb & Goat Recipes

It looks like a good recipe and I plan to try it. I'll probably have to cut the amounts in half since there is only the two of us. I'll likely use lamb, as I find goat meat to have a lot of little bones in it - or at least the cuts available in the ethnic grocers where I live. Thanks for sharing.

And I agree with Gravy Queen about adding some thyme to the dish. It's a very prevalent spice in Jamaican curries.

Last edited:
Thanks Steve, will visit that site.

But - I found it!!!!

Sheep's Creek Farm Lamb Recipes,

they have enough recipes there to keep you busy for months!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom