Goodweed's Egg Rolls

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
I promised that I'd post this. Sorry it took so long.

I make enough for a hungry crowd so you may want to scale this down. But be prepared as the people you serve will want these as the main course rather than as a side. :mrgreen:

First, these egg rolls differ in that they are filled with crispy veggies that go well with several meats and seafoods. The veggies are almost universal. The meats that can be used are chicken, turkey breast, pork, and lamb. The seafood choices are tail-less shrimp, scallops, crab, lobster, clams, abalone, squid, fake crab.

I will post the sauces for this meal in the sauces thread.

Ingredients:
2 lb. meat, cut into 1/4" cubes
2 - 6 oz. cans diced water chestnuts
2 - 6 oz. cans bamboo shoots
1 large onion, cut into 1/2" wide leaves, then cut in half
3 stalks bok choy, sliced
3 stalks celery, sliced
3 carrots, diced
3 cups fresh bean sprouts
3 cloves fresh garlic
1/8 tsp. Chinese 5-Spice Powder (optional)
1/8 tsp. Accent Flavor Enhancer (MSG(optinal))
16 oz. sliced baby Portabella Mushrooms
1/8 cup lite soy sauce
2 pkgs. egg-roll skins
water
peanut oil

Heat 2 tbs. peanut oil in a heavy pan (I use my flat-bottome Atlas Wok). Lightly brown the meat in a very hot pan. Remove from heat and lightly salt. Place the meat into a large bowl.

Add the remaining ingredients, except the egg-roll skins and water, along with another tbs of oil, into the same pan, in stages. Cook until the veggies just begin to soften. They must still have a light crunch when removed from the heat.

Combine all cooked ingredients into a large collander, placed over the bowl that the meat was in, and stir until everything is evenly distributed. Allow it to drain while setting up the work surface.

Add enough oil to your frying pan, wok, or deep fryer to frythe egg-rolls in. Heat to about 160 to 165 F.

Set the veggie/meat mixture whithin easy reach. Open the egg roll skins and place nearby. Have a wire rack nearby to set the uncooked egg rolls on. Place a small bowl of water next to the skins.

This part is best done with at least 2 people, one to roll, one to cook. And have any sauces and sides you will be serving hot and done, and out of the way.

Peel one skin from the package and place on the working surface. Place about a tbs. of the mixture onto the skin center. Dip three fingers into the water and spread a layer on each side of the egg-roll skin. Fold the sides inward until they cover about 1/8" of the mixture. Fold the bottom up to cover, then roll and set onto the wire rack, or fry immediately. Repeat this process until you have as many egg-rolls as you wish. The cooked egg rolls should be served immediatley to prevent the softening do to steam for the inner filling. They can also be kept in a 130 to 150 degree oven, loosely stacked until ready to serve. Serve with a bit of brown or wild rice, and either a lemon, or pineapple sweet & sour sauce, or a ketchup/powdered mustard sauce, depending on whether they have meat or seafood in them.

These take a bit of time to cook, but they are so great tasting, and not all mushy with too much cabbage.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom