Green Thai curry paste

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pepperhead212

Executive Chef
Today, having all those full sized Thai green peppers out there gave me the idea to make a curry paste, to go with that bitter melon, and a bunch of those other veggies. This is a concentrated paste - some recipes have some green lettuce added, for color, and that dilutes it, as well. I prefer this version. And this method, using the immersion blender, gives a texture similar to the mortar and pestle. When I use a FP there are always things that don't get ground up, like chile skins. And when I use the Vitamix, while super smooth, I have to add some water, to circulate the paste around the blades. I list all of the methods, but show the immersion blender in the photos.

Thai Green Curry Paste

1/2 cup(s) green chiles; sliced (1.8 oz)
4 tsp coriander seed; toasted, ground
1 tsp white pepper; toasted, ground
1 tsp cumin; toasted, ground
1 large lime zest
4 tb cilantro roots or stems, minced
3 large or 4 smaller stalks of lemongrass; thinly sliced
3 tb galangal; minced (.9 oz)
2 tb garlic; minced (.6 oz)
3 tb shallots; minced (.9 oz)
2 tsp shrimp paste; dry roasted (red miso can be substituted, for vegan)
1/2 tsp turmeric (optional)

Dry roast the shrimp paste by wrapping in a double layer of foil and flattening it. In a dry skillet over med. heat cook 5 or 6 min., turning several times; cool in foil, then crumble up. Toast the spices in the same skillet 5 or 6 min., shaking around often. Cool, then grind Trim the tough outer layers from the lemongrass, cut the root away, and all but about 4" of the stem. Slice thin and set aside. Have all ingredients at hand.

MORTAR METHOD: Pound all ingredients in the mortar or molcajete in the following order: lemongrass, lime zest, galangal, cilantro root, spices, garlic, shallots, chiles, and shrimp paste. Only for the truly obsessed.

FOOD PROCESSOR or BLENDER METHOD: Place all ingredients in FP and process 3 minutes, or longer, until totally ground into a paste with no large bits of chile skin left.

IMMERSION BLENDER METHOD (my favorite): Place all ingredients in container, which the blender can go through to the bottom. On high speed push the blender up and down through the mixture until totally pureed, about 45 sec. to a minute.

Thai dragon types are my favorite chiles for this. Serranos may be used, and are available in most stores, though not really the same.

Storage: 1 month refrigerated, 3 months frozen.

Step by step photos:
Ingredients for green curry paste. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

This is everything placed in a container that I got with an immersion blender one time, with a lid on it, to make salad dressings with. Perfect size for this! Need a little larger for a red curry.
All ingredients sliced or ground, as needed, and ready to grind. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Beginning to grind with immersion blender. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

About half ground up. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Finished curry paste, about the same texture and when done in mortar and pestle. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom