Haggis help please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cooking=love

Assistant Cook
Here's my problem,
My Sister made a vacation trip to England and Scotland. She brought me back a can of Haggis. I don't know what to do with it!? I am pretty adventurous but this really scares me. I am afraid to even open it, I don't know what I am going to see. :shock:
I might consider trying something like that if over there in a restarant, but canned? I am sure she meant well.
Thanks for any advice you all have for me. I appreciate it.

Haggis is an acquired taste. It is made with oats and unspeakable bits of dead animals, and it's one of those things you either like or you don't. I have not had tinned haggis, only the fresh kind.

Best of luck, give it a try and report on your findings. Drown it in ketchup!!! The Scots are a strange race, apparently they claim to be the first to batter and deep fry mars bars. Weird people. And the put butter and salt on their porridge instead of sugar or syrup!

Re: Need Your Advice about this one

cooking=love said:
Here's my problem,
My Sister made a vacation trip to England and Scotland. She brought me back a can of Haggis. I don't know what to do with it!? I am pretty adventurous but this really scares me. I am afraid to even open it, I don't know what I am going to see. :shock:
I might consider trying something like that if over there in a restarant, but canned? I am sure she meant well.

I would dump it. I am adventurous too but I have seen it made and have decided not to try it. Canned :?: :?: :?: :shock: Yuck :?: The other day I tried some canned creamed peas. I took one bite and tossed in in the garbage. One of the worse things I have ever tasted.

Re: Need Your Advice about this one

cooking=love said:
Here's my problem,
You could serve it to your sister when she visits! lol Or you could do what I would probably do--bury it far from home! I've never had it, but I've heard enough about it.

:) Barbara

P.S. Is your sister a jokester? Did she bring it back as a joke or was she serious?

I would just keep it as a novelty item. I am not sure what it would taste like though. But if you want to try it, I would fry it like corned beef hash.

I don't think she was joking...she said that she thought I was the only one she knew brave enough to try it. I don' t think I am.

Canned green peas are a staple food in Lancashire!!! Fish and chips and mushy peas. I can't eat them either, unless I have drunk a lot of beer!!!

bangbang - I never knew there was such a thing as canned creamed peas. When I was little Bird's Eye made frozen creamed peas with little cubes of potatoes and I loved them - but I haven't found them in years (I mean YEARS) and when I tried to make them one time they weren't even close - and gosh, how can one get close to processed food? LOL

I don't know what Haggis is and apparently I don't want to know ;) The only thing that comes to mind is Haggard (sp?) in the Harry Potter books, and that's not that great either!

I'm just trying to be brave enough to look it up?

kyles - I was making mushy peas before I knew they were an actual dish! It was a good way to get vegetables down. I also do the same thing but boil carrots along with the potatoes and lightly mash everything together. They're good too!

Difference is, I bet your mushy peas taste nice. Ours are made from a dreadful blue thing called marrow pea, then soaked, boiled, mushed, tinned, not nice at all!!!! Oh and heavily salted and doused in vinegar once re heated!!!

Haggis

A haggis is a small animal native to Scotland. Well when I say animal, actually it's a bird with vestigial wings - like the ostrich. Because the habitat of the haggis in exclusively mountainous, and because it is always found on the sides of Scottish mountains, it has evolved a rather strange gait. The poor thing has only three legs, and each leg is a different length - the result of this is that when hunting haggis, you must get them on to a flat plain - then they are very easy to catch - they can only run round in circles.
After catching your haggis, and dispatching it in time honoured fashion, it is cooked in boiling water for a period of time, then served with tatties and neeps (and before you ask, that's potatoes and turnips

Nigella Lawson makes mushy peas look really good. She puts lots of butter! I like watching her she's neat. I love how she doesn't fuss she just cooks. :)

Cooking! Food 911 tonight is about Haggis! What great timing! After reading the recipe...well...I'm pretty adverturous as well but count me out!

When I make mushy peas (or at least my version) I use the canned sweet peas. Just make mashed potatoes and then add the peas and give them a good stir. I can't imagine going through what kyles described! LOL

Dove
Tsk, tsk.... don't you realise that there are people out there who will BELIEVE your folk tale?! :cool:

As for the tinned haggis. The only time I tried it was in the USA. BLECH!!!!! Avoid at all costs!

Although many will doubt my assertion, haggis is great. BUT, I know where mine is made (my local butcher - whose family has a farm not 10 miles away from his shop).....

:sick: Never have I heard anything good about haggis.
Maybe you could get someone to try it on a bet at a party after they have had plenty of beers.:ROFLMAO:
Or serve it as an appetizer and dont tell anyone what it is and see what happens.:LOL:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom