Has anyone made Jamaica bammy's?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Anau

Senior Cook
I saw some frozen imported food from Jamaica at the grocery and noticed something called a bammy which was kind of a grated cassava pancake soaked in coconut milk. They sound really good but I want to here from you guys before I try it out.

Well personally, I love Jamaican food...but it's one of those types of cooking that's just not for everybody. So if I told you the stuff is good...doesn't really mean anything because it's one of those ethnic types of food that people either love or they hate.

Couldn't you really say that about any type of food though Poppinfresh? If I told you I like bananas that doesn't mean you will like them.

I love Jamaican food too. I don't think I have tried bammys, but they sound great. I would love to taste them.

I've had something similar, involving cassava and coconut milk, but it was sweet. Sounds like an experiment coming on!

"Bammy" (made of yucca root) is also known as 'casabe' or 'cassava'. The root is mostly eaten boiled(very good with codfish). A cassava looks like a flat round cracker-like bread. It's like a big chip that you can breakup and dip in guacamole (good with avocado). The commercial cassava is not exactly the best example of the 'original recipe'; it's usually too dry. A fresh homemade cassava will still have some moisture from the juices of the grated yucca.
Yucca was the staple diet of the Arawak indians living on the northern banks of South America and the caribbean islands.

Caution: Yucca can be poisonous;the bitter root contains cyanide... http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/consumer/poison/Manihes.htm

Here is some more info
http://www.stanford.edu/group/arts/honduras/discovery_eng/customs/casave/index.html

Try it!...Save me a piece :)

GB said:
Couldn't you really say that about any type of food though Poppinfresh? If I told you I like bananas that doesn't mean you will like them.

I love Jamaican food too. I don't think I have tried bammys, but they sound great. I would love to taste them.

Yeah, but bananas aren't really a love/hate relationship type of food like Jamaican dishes are. There are just some types of dishes that are more defined (read: More people can't stand it) than others, and Jamaican food just happens to be one of them (Ethiopian food comes to mind too, as does Peruvian). MOST people like bananas...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom