Has anyone used pandan?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Anau

Senior Cook
Hello, the other day I baked a cake and tried using pandan flavoring. Has anyone else used this before? It's the extract (or maybe just artificial flavoring) of the leaves of the pandanus plant used a lot in SE Asian cooking for pastries and stuff. It smells really good like vanilla and coconut. It usually comes dyed green to color the food too.

Hi, My Mom uses it to make her cakes and whatnot. I have some at home and am trying to find time to experiment myself. You can use it as you would any extract (i.e. vanilla, etc).

What kind of cake??

Well I tried adding some to a pound cake mix and it turned out really nice. I really like the color of the tan outside and the bright bright green inside, the color of chicken egg shells.

That's really the only way I've seen it used in cooking. I am going to see if I can get ahold of the live plant to bring home when I visit the Philippines in January.

Anau, are you going to try to get the extract from the plant yoursel? Man, that seems like a lot of work! You'll have to post the results. My wedding cake was a pandan cake.

If I do say so myself, it was the best wedding cake of the season. :)

There are recipes around on the web, did you find any of them?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom