Hatch chiles...?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kayelle

Chef Extraordinaire
I was lucky enough to grab a package of frozen prepared Hatch Chili's at Trader Joes. They were flying out the door! I've never used them before and I can't find a heat index on them. Since I'm doing my chili rellano casserole tonight, and I've always used 14oz. of canned ortega peppers, I'm hopeful someone can help me out here. How hot are they, in comparison?

Last edited:
I'm busy in the kitchen now so just getting in on this, but that's an interesting article, Kay. That's pretty much what I've heard about Hatch chiles, that it depends on the area and how the growing season is - hot and dry vs wetter, area, etc. When you say you got them frozen and 'prepared' from TJ's, did that mean they were roasted? Just curious - I'm really looking forward to how you liked them in your chile relleno casserole. :)

I've heard so much about roasted Hatch chilis too. Looking forward to your report, Kay!

Yes, the Hatch chili's were roasted before freezing for Trader Joe's. They are evidently so seasonal for harvest that the word got around my group of friends that they were there a while back so I jumped on a one lb. package. The day I was there almost every cart had at least one package and sometimes several. Now I wish I had been greedy too. I didn't see them again last week.

Kayelle, if they were not labeled as to their hotness, you just have to taste them. When they come into season here, the cases are labeled from mild (no heat at all) to very hot.

Last year we bought a case of hatch chiles. I spent most of a day seeding, roasting, and peeling them. We still have 3 full gallon size Ziplocks in the freezer. :chef:

i-kbSmfkp-M.jpg

Oh looks great, Rick! I'd love to have a bunch of frozen chiles in my freezer. Maybe soon, I planted several jalapeno plants a few weeks ago. :)

Kay, since they were roasted when you bought them, I'll bet your chiles rellenos using the Hatch chiles will be amazing. :yum:

I'm joining the fan club of Hatch chili's now. I wish I could describe how different they are from Anaheim. The heat index seems to be just slightly more, and I'm glad I cut back on the amount to 10 oz. for the Rellano casserole, but that could be because there were lots of seeds in the roasted Hatch, and the SC isn't fond of heat. The flavor is so hard to describe, almost like describing the flavor difference between other onions and the unique Vidalia onions of Georgia.
I sure hope you can all try the unique Hatch peppers sometime. They're delicious.

Last edited:
It's the FLAVOR, impossible to describe. DH was raised on Hatch and other green chiles and requires them everyday.

Here is a sampling of the products we are using right now, and yesterdays breakfast chile.

Attachments

• DSCN4297.jpg
    DSCN4297.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 216
  • DSCN4299.jpg
    DSCN4299.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 179
I'm sorry to be late to the party...
Here in Arizona, we too receive Hatch Chiles fresh in burlap baps and our neighborhood stores have that really cool roasting doohicky-thingy, you know that round cage that they rotate over an open flame... MAN! It smells so good around here for WEEKS!
I can find the fresh, frozen (in many different forms) and most often and cheapest is at Costco in 27oz. cans of whole, seeded, roasted peppers, MILD!!
TJ's has a wonderful Hatch Chile Salsa as well, HOT STUFF, but a good hot, and I'm not one for too spicy.

I would LOVE to try some Hatch chiles. :yum: Will have to search Costco.

Last edited:
I would LOVE to try some Hatch chiles. :yum: Will have to search Costco.

Walmart also carries them in the large 27oz can a well as the small flat tins like the Ortega Chiles.
I like the Hatch Chiles much more so than the other brands.
In Hatch New Mexico, there are restaurants that have Hatch Chile Cheese Burgers, OH MY! I Tried it at home with char grilled burgers and freshly roasted Hatch Chiles, GOOD!!!
I roast mine at home on the gas grill, whole, and then into a bowl covered in plastic wrap for about 15 minutes; peel, seed and de-vein for less heat.
And who knew I'M HAWAIIAN!!! :LOL:

Huh. Walmart, who knew? Thanks, Kgirl, will look!

Someday, I would love to try the fresh roasted. Sounds like a roadtrip to me.

Last edited:
Last year we bought a case of hatch chiles. I spent most of a day seeding, roasting, and peeling them. We still have 3 full gallon size Ziplocks in the freezer. :chef:

i-kbSmfkp-M.jpg

I really like the looks of what your did Rick...no veins, no seeds and fresh roasted flavor with attention to detail looks ideal to me. Impressive job!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom