'Hawaiian' Fried Rice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kaneohegirlinaz

Wannabe TV Chef
Central/Northern AZ, gateway to The Grand Canyon
Wow, I had to think about this one.
I just, make it. No recipe, just, MAKE IT.
Fried Rice is something I learned to make from my SIL (DH's sister).
Every time that we all went to the beach for the day, she would bring some sort of meat to grill and fried rice. My BIL would grill the meat on his little hibachi and there'd be other goodies to nibble on after body surfing for the afternoon (I shouldn't go there, it makes me homesick). So to me, that's beach food.
Here we are, years later in the middle of the desert and I NEED to have little pieces of home every so often.

hawaiian fried rice.JPG

Hawaiian Fried Rice

Start off with leftover steamed white rice (we use Calrose medium grain rice, Jasmine Rice would do nicely and more popular in grocery stores), the drier the better, I leave our pot from the night before on the counter, lid off to speed up this process.
Add whatever 'goodies' you may have leftover, as much as you like of:
Scrambled eggs or that omelet you didn't finish, diced up
Diced and cooked Breakfast Sausage (we use Linguica or Portuguese Sausage)**
Diced and cooked Spam®, very crisp**
Green onions, sliced on an angle
White onions, chopped and sauteed
If you must, frozen peas and carrots
Soy Sauce
Sesame Oil
(I know some folks who also add about 1-2 Tbsp. Oyster Sauce)
Toasted Sesame Seeds

Preheat a large fry pan, or Wok if you have it, with some neutral oil like canola over medium-high heat.
Once you see wisps of smoke coming off the pan, you gotta move fast
Throw in the rice, stir it around until it's hot
Add in your goodies, stir again
Pour in enough soy sauce to just color the rice, not floating in soy sauce, that's too much
Stir; cover and cook for a few minutes
Dish it up with a drizzle of Sesame oil and Toasted Sesame Seeds, maybe some more Green Onions on top.

**Cook’s Note - the Spam® and the Linguica really make it, or some leftover Teriyaki Chicken, Bacon, Hot Dogs, really whatever you have leftover and like, throw it in. I suppose you could use brown calrose rice as well.**
Try this in the morning with eggs and the breakfast meat of your choice,
like more fried Spam® is nice.
portuguesesausage.jpeg spam_classic.png fried rice spam and eggs.jpeg

It wouldn't be a true Hawaiian dish without the declared meat of Hawaii. SPAM! Long live Spam! (And it does!) :angel:

Mahalo, thanks Addie, you are right, Hawaii comsumes the most Spam® than any other State (excluding the Territory of Guam, btw).
This recipe can be made with really any leftovers you have on hand, or just veggies, however you like it.
We like ours with as many 'goodies' as I can cram into it :pig:
but there are times that I only use Spam®, mainly because that's all I have besides eggs and veg.

You're most welcome. My pleasure. Perhaps one of the very few good things that came from WWII. It kept Hawaii fed. Along with our servicemen. :angel:

Thank you for sharing, kgirl. I love fried rice with whatever leftovers I can stuff in there, too! :yum: Just may have to buy a can of Spam. :)

If I don't have leftover rice and have to start from new, I 'toast' the uncooked rice in just the teeniest bit of oil in a hot skillet before I cook it, until I can smell the nutty aroma and it just starts to change color. It kind of acts like pre-cooked leftover rice that way, and the rice is fluffy and separate rather than sticking together in the final dish. :)

"Sticky Rice" is a staple in Hawaii, we eat it with every meal.
I MUST have a scoop at least once every couple-a days or I get the DT's :w00t2:

If I remember right, I recall a lot of folks having rice makers that made only sticky rice. Or at least they thought it did. I have always been one to make it from scratch. It is how my mommy taught me. :angel:

this looks like what i know as '"real" fried rice, as far as it being a leftovers dish.

thanks for the hawaiian spin on it, kaneohe. i'll have to make it for my parents. they are of the wwii generation and love spam (although my family fought in the european theatres in the big one). i chuckled recently when i was at their house cooking dinner (italian turkey meataballs - meatballs made from ground turkey in an italian american style would be more accurate. btw, ya gotta have the extra 'a' for authenticity) and when i raided my mom's pantry (screw freud if that sounds wrong), i found a few cans of spam. it's abhorrent to so many foodies, but not us gods - you and me.

and yeah, the chief. (if you don't include him he gets upset. geez, here comes the 'i'm not god speech')

ok, so, recipe and techniques look great. i am a bit worried about the rice going into the oil, becoming greasy tasting.

what is the heat source you use, and the cooking vessel, a wok i suppose?

Thank you for sharing, kgirl. I love fried rice with whatever leftovers I can stuff in there, too! :yum: Just may have to buy a can of Spam. :)

If I don't have leftover rice and have to start from new, I 'toast' the uncooked rice in just the teeniest bit of oil in a hot skillet before I cook it, until I can smell the nutty aroma and it just starts to change color. It kind of acts like pre-cooked leftover rice that way, and the rice is fluffy and separate rather than sticking together in the final dish. :)

I thought the same thing!

I found this in the grocery this morning, just enough to satisfy my curiosity! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Single-CLassic.png

Wow Bucky..seeing you here again was worth getting up this morning!!!!!

Your recipe sounds great Kgirl, and I love Spam too.
Dawg recently turned me on to pineapple in fried rice. Have you ever done that? It sure would fit the theme of your dish.

Nice recipe, K-girl. Yes, try it with pineapple some time, delish!

WHAT? No pineapple? Being a native Hawaiian, is that blasphemy?? I love the recipe and love the salty taste of Spam. Although my wife does not like pineapple, I love the sweet and sour flavor of fried rice with that fruit in it.

By the way Kgirl, I've been meaning to tell you we have a little Hawaiian Barbeque place here and we love it. Their plate lunches are really good, and authentic.

Check out the menu...
Q & Q Hawaiian B.B.Q. - Home

WOWZER Kayelle!
This place seems like a spin off from the very popular L&L BBQ franchaise that originated on Oahu.
The L&L Menu |
Oh my gravy all over my two scoops rice! (that's OMG! in my world :))
There needs to be a drooling emoticon!

WHAT? No pineapple? Being a native Hawaiian, is that blasphemy?? I love the recipe and love the salty taste of Spam. Although my wife does not like pineapple, I love the sweet and sour flavor of fried rice with that fruit in it.

:LOL:

Pineapple wasn't cultivated commercially until the early 1900's.
It's very expensive in the supermarkets there.
You don't find too many folks there eating pineapple, really.
Me, I can only eat a little of it every so often, it's doesn't agree with me.
But yeah, the sweet & sour play would be nice.

Last edited:
So if you ever get over here in my neck of the woods kgirl, I can meet you there for lunch.

Yep, it's just like the place you mentioned where we have had great authentic food on Kauai.

:LOL:

Pineapple wasn't cultivated commercially until the early 1900's.
It's very expensive in the supermarkets there.
You don't find too many folks there eating pineapple, really.
Me, I can only eat a little of it every so often, it's doesn't agree with me.
But yeah, the sweet & sour play would be nice.

Yep, I know for sure you can't buy a $2.00 pineapple there, like I do here.
I love them myself and always have one on hand for grilling.

Back
Top Bottom