Help Identifying a spice (visually)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

larry_stewart

Master Chef
I was looking for one recipe and came across this Indian recipe ' Potatoes and Spring Onions'. The video is not in English, and I dont see any printed version linked to the video, so I'm going by a visual/. Most of the ingredients and general amounts I got. Just having problems with one of the spices .

The spices are on a plate at about 30 seconds into the video below
(Im also including a still screen shot so you dont have to watch the video)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5fRCPIvbZI

Of the 5 items on the plate, Im going with
- Turmeric
- Cumin Seeds
- Salt
- Ground Coriander seeds
- Top one either some kind of hot chili powder or garam masala ?

I dont think I could go wrong with either ( the chili powder or garam masala). Since my wife doesn't like hot foods, Id probably avoid the chili powder anyway, but just curious on your thoughts.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-11-06 at 6.35.46 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-11-06 at 6.35.46 PM.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 265
It could be some kashmiri pepper, which is the most commonly called for "red pepper". Byadagi is a less common type - tastes delicious, and is slightly hotter, and I tried growing it this season, but it did not work! Deggi Mirch is a blend of kashmiri and other peppers - usually milder ones, used much for the color. These are all mild peppers, like mild Numex, and used for the flavor. I've seen some people use cayenne pepper when an Indian recipe called for "red" or "hot" pepper, but that's not what they usually mean - it's one of these.

Last edited:
Thanks, kinda figured it was some kinda pepper powder and also kinda figured you'd be the one to answer the question :)

I might sneak a pinch of something in too give it a little ( very little heat) but keep t mild enough so my wife wont complain. ll probably toss a little garam masala in too to give a little more fo that Indian touch.

Larry,

Depends on the recipe, but garam masala can be hotter than those peppers, since it usually has cayenne type peppers in it, used for the heat. I use my Thai peppers in that, and other masalas that I make - they usually call for chile de árbol, since it is most common of this type in supermarkets.

The garam masala I have unhand isn't too hot. I once got a free sample packet of garam masala when I ordered spices online, and that was very hot ( wasn't expecting it). Kinda filed that one away somewhere as not to make the mistake of using it by accident.

I agree. I think the mystery powder is too red to be GM.

...and that's a lot of hot pepper.

well, she is probably more American than I am, but she still speaks Hindu. Providing it is Hindu. They have so many languages.

Back
Top Bottom