Homemade Sambar Masala powder

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pepperhead212

Executive Chef
Today I got the idea to make this because I had a large amount of curry tree branches I had trimmed, to bring that plant indoors, and this spice mix uses 1/2 packed cup curry leaves. So this uses up a lot of it, though still only about 1/4 of what I had.

This is "dry" version; the recipe I usually use is an oily version, in which all of the spices (slightly different) are tossed with a tsp or so of oil, then toasted in the skillet, tossing for 3-4 min., giving a totally different flavor.

Sambar Masala Powder

1/2 c coriander seed
1/2 c whole Thai or Indian peppers (1 oz)
1/2 packed cup fresh curry leaves
2 tb urad dal
2 tb chana dal
2 tb cumin
1 tb black peppercorns
1/2 tb fenugreek seeds
1/2 tb black mustard seeds
2 three inch Sri Lancan cinnamon sticks (broken up, before toasting)
1/2 tb asafoetida
1/2 tb turmeric

A. In a preheated skillet, over medium heat, toast the spices, tossing them almost constantly, starting with the coriander, which will take longest, due to the volume; the others, go quickly, esp. the urad dal and fenugreek, which turn golden very fast - empty each batch into a broad skillet to cool, when finished. Toss the chiles for maybe 2 min., or until darkening, with a few blotches, and dump into the cooling pan. Then toss the curry leaves for 4-5 min, or until dry looking, and crispy. Pour out to the cooling pan, and set the pan aside to cool about 2 min., then add the asafoetida powder, and toss for about 10 sec., then pour onto the other spices. Measure out the turmeric onto the other spices.
B. When totally cool, grind the spices to a fine powder, in several batches, if necessary, then whisk it all together. Stores around 3 months at room temp, much longer in the fridge or freezer.

Yield: just under 1 1/2 cups
Curry leaves and spices, ready to pan roast for sambar masala. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Toasted jyoti peppers, for sambar masala. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Curry leaves, toasted until crispy by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Toasting asafoetida in slightly cooled pan, just briefly. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

All of the seasonings toasted, and cooled, for sambar masala by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Preparing to grind the sambar masala by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Finished batch of sambar masala. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom