Hummus

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have only had hummus a couple times, but yesterday made my own for the first time. I read through so many recipes online before I decided what to do. I did see a note that said you don't really have to put tahini in it, and since I don't even know what that is, I left it out. I, and my DIL thought it turned out great! I used canned chick peas, dry garlic powder, olive oil, cumin, in my food processor, and added some of the liquid from the can on chick peas until it reached the desired consistancy. Next time I intend to add some roasted red peppers, and maybe some other things for different flavors. I will eat this with my celery stix instead of cream cheese. Much healthier.

You can use a little toasted sesame oil to get that flavor. I like to put a bit of lem8n juice, ground coriander and cayenne in mine.

I've had a can of garbanzos in the cupboard for a week, but I'm holding out to find the tahini paste/oil or whatever it is.
I've noticed one of the commercial hummus makers have been advertising hummus a lot on TV lately.

Last edited:
You can use a little toasted sesame oil to get that flavor. I like to put a bit of lem8n juice, ground coriander and cayenne in mine.

Oh, yes, I put some lemon juice in mine, too. I don't have coriander, but I could add some ceyenne for a little kick.

I've got chickpeas in the fridge. I think I need to convert those to hummus tonight. I love hummus and make it lots of different ways.

I enjoy hummus with roasted red peppers. Of course, I think roasted red peppers can go into most things.

My two favorite hummuses (hummi?) are either with kalamata olives or with extra lemon juice and a bit of lemon zest. Instead of making salads some nights I put out a relish platter with scads of different raw and lightly blanched veggies, hummus, and a dip or two. So much fun to just munch!

I make a ton of that every week at work. The recipe is very basic like this one. I add a handfull of fresh parlsey also.

I love the stuff, but GF doesn't like the fact that I love it, if you know what I mean....:shock::sick::mrgreen:

whoops not pork chops celery and rosemary i must have meant something else
too many pork chops.
hah
Smart
you got the $$$$$
It.
bye

Here's a variation for you hummus-makers. It's no doubt good made with your home-cooked chickpeas rather than canned.

Spiced Carrot Hummus with Garlic Oil

1 cup peeled, chopped carrots
1 15-oz can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
3 tablespoons tahini
2 tablespoons garlic extra-virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon curry powder
1/4 teaspoon sea salt, or more to taste
1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Bring an inch or so of water to boil in a small pot fitted with a steamer basket. Add the carrots and steam until tender when pierced with a fork. Transfer the steamed carrots to a food processor fitted with steel blade.

Add the remaining ingredients and process for several minutes until thick and smooth, stopping once or twice to scrape down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula. Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 3 days. Makes about 1-3/4 cups.

My local farmer's market lady gave me this recipe. I liked it. :yum:

I think once you have a basic hummus recipe that you like, you can add anything else to it for flavoring. I'm going to try a few of the variations mentioned here...Well, not the pork chops!

I think once you have a basic hummus recipe that you like, you can add anything else to it for flavoring. I'm going to try a few of the variations mentioned here...Well, not the pork chops!
I play with hummus variations all the time. We like ours on the hot side, so there is always something to up the heat--jalapenos, chilpolte chili, cayenne peppers. I also like to add nuts--toasted walnuts + olives are one of my favorite combos. Hummus is so easy to make, takes 5 minutes in the FP, I don't know why s/one would buy it. I've been wondering if it freezes? Rock?

If you get on a hummus kick, you might as well learn how to make homemade pita bread. I have posted a recipe in "what are you baking today" for my basic recipe that I do in the bread machine (dough) and then in the oven.

Last edited:
I play with hummus variations all the time. We like ours on the hot side, so there is always something to up the heat--jalapenos, chilpolte chili, cayenne peppers. I also like to add nuts--toasted walnuts + olives are one of my favorite combos. Hummus is so easy to make, takes 5 minutes in the FP, I don't know why s/one would buy it. I've been wondering if it freezes? Rock?

If you get on a hummus kick, you might as well learn how to make homemade pita bread. I have posted a recipe in "what are you baking today" for my basic recipe that I do in the bread machine (dough) and then in the oven.

I think the last one I bought in the store was chipoltle. It had a bit of a kick, but was not actually hot. I don't do hot. A dash of cayenne is usually enough for me.

I couldn't find the tahini, but at the checkout line they said they had it.
I'll be back Saturday, so I'll pick up some then. I'm on my way to making my own hummus.

I couldn't find the tahini, but at the checkout line they said they had it.
I'll be back Saturday, so I'll pick up some then. I'm on my way to making my own hummus.
Turn the jar of tahini upside down and leave it that way for at least a few hours. The stuff separates, with oil floating on top and hard stuff under it. Turning it upside down helps to mix and soften it.

Back
Top Bottom