Hummus

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A disclaimer here taxy: I've never made Balela, just eaten it. Some recipes call for mint too. Not a fan since I got sick on Creme de Menthe on our honeymoon, but the Trader Joe's pre-made doesn't have mint. I'm trying this recipe sometime Sunday or Monday, in case you want a review.
I had the impression that you hadn't actually tried making it yet.

I rather dislike mint. But, a bit of mint in some recipes can be quite nice. It shouldn't be noticeable.

Creme de Menthe is vile stuff. I once had it in a drinkable form in Spain. We asked the bar tender to make his favourite drink for himself and us. I was quietly horrified when he served us a foamy, green drink. It was green creme de menthe and goat's milk, shaken 'til it foamed. It was actually quite nice. Colour me surprised.

I made my first batch of Hummus since I bought the Tahini and boy! What a difference! I also bought some roasted red peppers for an add in, and also some chipoltle pepper powder.

When I rinsed this can of chick peas they peeled themselves under the water. All I had to do was pick out the loose skins. I was tasting them as I went along and found out that I do like them plain, too. The only time I had had them before was on a salad bar, and I don't know what they did to them, but I didn't like them. So now I will also try them with tomatoes as suggested here.

Thanks. It seems like it would be pretty good.
So chick peas... those are garbanzo or chi chi beans, right? They come in a can?
Yes, chick peas are garbanzos and you can buy them ready cooked in cans or, as the OP used them, they come dried in packets.

You can (and I do when I'm in a hurry) use tinned chick peas but leave out the soaking and cooking. Hummus is better though when you start from scratch with dried chick peas. You can also make it without tahini paste but it tastes best with it.

Bumped this because I added toasted sesame seeds to the hummus today. Yum. Chickpeas, roasted cumin seeds, coriander seeds, cayenne pepper (pulsed that in the spice mill), 4 cloves garlic, juice of one lemon, lemon zest, 1/2 jalapeno pepper, about 30 oz. cooked chickpeas, olive oil (didn't measure), chickpea juice, tahini (didn't measure--tasted it, added more), about 1/4 c toasted/roasted sesame seeds. Stirred in about 2 T of chopped fresh coriander before I put it in the fridge for later. Might add some roasted red pepper before we dive into it later.

Last edited:
Soak 1 cup of small chick peas and 1 Tablespoon Baking Soda in water overnight.

Rinse off and soak in clean water for 2 or more hours and drain.

Add chick peas and 1/2 teaspoon baking soda to pot and cook on high heat until the peas are dry. Then cook two minutes more.

Add 6 or 7 cups of water to pot and bring to a slow boil. Skim off any foam as they cook. Cook until tender and drain.

While they are cooking mix:
1/2 cup tahini
1/4 cup lemon juice
2 cloves of garlic

Add chick peas to blender and blend until smooth. Then add tanhi, lemon juice, garlic and 1/4 teaspoon cumin. Place into refrigerator.

When ready to serve use ice water (if needed) to dilute to desired consistency.

Top with a good quality olive oil, olives and chopped flat leaf parsley.

Hummus by powerplantop, on Flickr
Yum! That's how I do mine except I don't use the baking soda and I use some of the cooking water if I need tp dilute the puree.

Bumped this because I added toasted sesame seeds to the hummus today. Yum. Chickpeas, roasted cumin seeds, coriander seeds, cayenne pepper (pulsed that in the spice mill), 4 cloves garlic, juice of one lemon, lemon zest, 1/2 jalapeno pepper, about 30 oz. cooked chickpeas, olive oil (didn't measure), chickpea juice, tahini (didn't measure--tasted it, added more), about 1/4 c toasted/roasted sesame seeds. Stirred in about 2 T of chopped fresh coriander before I put it in the fridge for later. Might add some roasted red pepper before we dive into it later.

That sounds like a yummy addition. I found sweet red peppers on sale for 4/$5, they would be nice to dip into that hummus.

Sounds really good, CWS! I love, love, love hummus - and especially like it with roasted red peppers.

It's also really yummy with roasted eggplant added in - oh, my is that ever good. One of my faves! :yum:

Authentic Hummus

This is the most authentic recipe for Hummus I have seen. It is just as my Lebanese Grandmother would have prepared it. It is traditionally served with untoasted pita bread.

As for a topping, during the Christmas holidays, I am often called upon to make Hummus for a get together. I learned, again from my Grandmother that topping the hummus with chopped parsley and pomegranate seeds made it extremely festive (red and green) and the taste of the dip with the pomegranate was delicious. I will post a photo when I find it.

powerplant, I meant to add how wonderful your hummus looks! :ohmy: :yum:

Thank you!

This is the most authentic recipe for Hummus I have seen. It is just as my Lebanese Grandmother would have prepared it. It is traditionally served with untoasted pita bread.

As for a topping, during the Christmas holidays, I am often called upon to make Hummus for a get together. I learned, again from my Grandmother that topping the hummus with chopped parsley and pomegranate seeds made it extremely festive (red and green) and the taste of the dip with the pomegranate was delicious. I will post a photo when I find it.

Thank you, did quite a bit of research. Then lots of trial and error. Simple is better.

The nice thing about making your own is you can adjust it to your taste and control what goes into it. I have found that most recipes have a little too much tahini for my liking, so I cut back a little on it. It's really a tasty dip and it's healthy!

I make hummus a little different but everyone that tastes it loves it.
Many americans find tahini a bit too strong for their tastes, but I LOVE sesame, so I came up with a great compromise. I use toasted sesame oil instead.
Also they sre a picky lot and don't care for my lemon, so I use lime. That way I get the citrus but they don't get the zippy tartness. Yes, I know some really uneducated palates, lol. But we manage.
Anyway, this may sound gross but here's my hummus recipe:
chickpeas
sea salt
lime juice
lots of garlic
toasted sesame oil
fresh cilantro leaves (or sundried tomatoes or red bell peppers, I've even used shallots. ie-something fresh. etc)
I put it all in the food processor until its creamy smooth. We eat ours with flour tortillas as decent flatbread is not available in the boonies where I live.
Oh, and if you haven't tried fatoush (bread salad), you HAVE TO! It's so good and healthy to boot. Serve all this with some grilled lamb chops that were marinated in rosemary and some mint jelly and its an awesome feast. Ok I'm off to the grocery now, I'm craving it, lol!

Chi Chi Beans pac? Gosh, I haven't heard them called that in a long time. But yes, same as chick peas/garbanzo beans. Guess it's a "heartland" kind of term.

I have never heard of them called Chi Chi beans, but I found this info online.

A Chi-Chi bean is like a chickpea, channa, or garbanzo bean. The name comes from the Italian word for chickpea - ceci, pronounced, CHAY-chee.

I thought they were mexican.

This week's hummus used black chickpeas, shallots, garlic, lemon juice, tahini, roasted almonds (tossed with cayenne pepper), some hot-pepper infused EVOO, "regular" EVOO, grated carrots, lemon zest, and roasted cumin. Dressed with a drizzle of almond oil, paprika, fresh coriander leaves, chopped. It was very, very good.

This week's hummus used black chickpeas, shallots, garlic, lemon juice, tahini, roasted almonds (tossed with cayenne pepper), some hot-pepper infused EVOO, "regular" EVOO, grated carrots, lemon zest, and roasted cumin. Dressed with a drizzle of almond oil, paprika, fresh coriander leaves, chopped. It was very, very good.

That sounds very good!!

Yum! I HAVE to make it!

Sent from my HUAWEI Y300-0100 using Discuss Cooking mobile app

Yesterday made another batch of hummus. This time I used black chickpeas, garlic, 3 tsp tahini, some red pepper infused EVOO, regular EVOO, lemon juice (and some of the pulp--organic lemons are much better, thanks TL, I believe you now), roasted cumin, and a dash of sea salt. It is darned good, too. I really like the black chickpeas. Next batch I'll use 1/2 black chickpeas and 1/2 yellow chickpeas.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom