I had a reuben

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
See, guys, you actually have to like Russian or Thousand Island dressing to want to use it. I. Hate. Ketchup. My one odd exception? Cold meatloaf sandwiches. To each his own, though, so if you enjoy it, have at it! ~ And gobs of any condiment ruins a well-made sandwich. All things in prportion, please, and nothing in excess...unless it's bacon. One can never have TOO much bacon - unless they don't like it to begin with. ;)
I'm not fond of ketchup. I use tomato paste when I make Thousand Island dressing. I also use relish that isn't sweet. If I can't find any, I finely chop some dill pickle. The dressing is not nearly as sweet that way. I will sub tomato paste for the ketchup in Russian dressing, if I ever make any.

I've been making blackened Mahi Mahi or Grouper Reubens recently. We got hooked on them in Florida this past summer, and since you're replacing fatty ted meat with fish, it's a go with my wife.

I know it sounds weird; fish, sauerkraut, and cheese, but it's really good.

Attachments

• 0914181804_HDR.jpg
    0914181804_HDR.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 147
I've been making blackened Mahi Mahi or Grouper Reubens recently. We got hooked on them in Florida this past summer, and since you're replacing fatty ted meat with fish, it's a go with my wife.

I know it sounds weird; fish, sauerkraut, and cheese, but it's really good.

That really does sound weird Bucky. :wacko: Sometimes weird can be wonderful though. I wonder how it would be with a chicken cutlet?

Ok I just had a corned beef and pickle sammich. Not a proper Reuben. But it satisfied my hunger for corned beef. Great sammich.

Russ

We have a local chain of sub shops that does their Reubens on Cuban bread and presses it. Not bad.

Awww Rascal, that's a sad excuse for a Ruben. White sandwich bread ungrilled at the very least? Bless yer heart.:(

Lols, I know, it was a substitute, I'd normally do sourdough bread and heated. No sauerkraut available. It was really nice.you guys are so lucky having good deli stuff available.

Russ

That really does sound weird Bucky. :wacko: Sometimes weird can be wonderful though. I wonder how it would be with a chicken cutlet?

The official motto of Austin, Texas (really).

CD

Attachments

• KAWoo1.jpg
    KAWoo1.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 106
My favorite way to make a rueban is on grilled marble rye bread, natural Swiss cheese, a thin layer of sour cream, warm, thinly sliced corned beef & saurkraut mixed with homemade 1000 island dressing.

Back
Top Bottom