I need help finding European recipes!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

karlagonzalezgt

Assistant Cook
I am not a very good cook :( , my boyfriend is from Romania, I am from Guatemala, so it's very different in cooking terms, I've learn that in Europe food is much more sophisticated, which is very good, the problem is I can't seem to find very good recipes, so I need help from any of you, if you can give me ideas, share recipes, or tell me where I can find online good recipes from throughout Europe, it would be very good for me. So please anyone there could help me in this? Thanks!

Welcome to DC Karla!

Probably the easiest way to get started is to go to Google (Google) and do a search on the type of cuisine your looking for like French, German, Polish, Italian, Greek, etc., followed by the word "recipes".

Since your boyfriend is from Romania - here are the results from a Google search on Romanian recipes.

Hope this helps get you started!

Well ... that comment about European food being more sophisticated is sure to be a popular one here!!

Besides, it isn't, more sophisticated that is. Or at least not necessarily so, and anyways, as compared to what? There's so-called "sophisticated" food over here and there's so-called "peasant" food over here. Personally, even though I'm not a peasant, I'll eat peasant food any day!

Also, English food and Greek food (for example) are very different, and yet they're both European cuisines. That has to do with the seasons in each country and what's naturally grown or raised there. You can get ahold of recipes from any part of the world very easily on the Internet as Michael's suggested above, but IMHO, you'd be best to stick with recipes from a country that has a similar climate to wherever you're living so that the basic ingredients can be bought fresh and full of flavor.

Just a thought!

"sophisticated" is a very loose description. There are many, many popular Italian dishes that are much more rustic and simple than a lot of people abroad would think. Also as Ayrton pointed out, "european cuisine" is also a loose description, there are many different countries and cultures mixed in all over Europe, for example Scandinavian cuisine from the north and the mediterranean cuisine in the south are definitely based from different backgrounds. As for Romanian cuisine, try starting a search with the google list Michael provided. for other European cuisine, there are members from Greece (like Ayrton), Italy (myself, and a few others), Germany, Switzerland, Spain and Great Britain here in the forum, we are all happy to help you out with what we know!

Karla, think I would ask bf what sort of dishes he would like. Then go about finding recipes for those.

There are plenty of folks here to help you.

Take care and welcome to DC.

Welcome to DC. Lots of ideas and recipes here to look at. Just do a search and you'll be sure to find some your boyfriend will like.

Karla, before you start googling, you should try searching for recipes from some of the European countries posted here.

Hi Karla,

if you need something from Germany, just ask me or the forum's search, as there are already lots of recipes here ;o)

If you have time to send me a couple of recipes(German,or anywhere from Europe), I would be very thankful. You know my boyfriend's father is actually from Germany. Thank you.

Ayrton said:
... English food ...

:) Now, when you said that Europian food was not really that sophisiticated (sp?) I wasn't going to argue, but let's be real, what they cook in Englad, should not really be called "food", Sorry English folks, but English food is just ..... ;)

been to England recently CharlieD? They did finally get over the war mentality and cuisine exists quite expertly in the UK. Oh just as America has Boston Market or Denny's, England has their own family slop houses too...every country does. But do not denegrade the country of fine roasts and fresh garden vegies, wonderous sweet and savory pies, cheeses and charcuterie of all types, glorious fish and breads of distinction. England has also benefited from the aspects of fusion which have taken the world of cooking. Making fun of English cooking is very much a thing of the past. (It was bad there for the same reasons it was bad here, only longer there because of the more severe aspects of the war and recovery.)

(I know you are being a little tongue in cheek, but still...let me treat you to a fine beefsteak and mushroom pie or roast of lamb with carrots, parsnips, turnips and potatoes. Glorious!)

Last edited:
CharlieD said:
:) Now, when you said that Europian food was not really that sophisiticated (sp?) I wasn't going to argue, but let's be real, what they cook in Englad, should not really be called "food", Sorry English folks, but English food is just ..... ;)
Just a wee bit of a misquote, there, Charlie!

Meanwhile, I have to agree with Robo that it sounds like your ideas of English food are out of date. I've been pretty impressed with the food on recent trips there. Mind you, that food also included classics I've always loved and always will. In my world, long live steak & kidney pudding!

I do like quite a few typical English dishes too. Traditional dishes like steak and kidney pie, shepherd pie and of course fish and chips.

Robo410 said:

(I know you are being a little tongue in cheek, but still...let me treat you to a fine beefsteak and mushroom pie or roast of lamb with carrots, parsnips, turnips and potatoes. Glorious!)

You are on, sounds great, especialy mushroom thing, when should I come over? ;)

Hey, I take exception to that Charlie! England suffered for a long time, many middle/working class kids of my parents generation, post war, were not taught to cook as the rations continued here for a long time after the war and a lot of food did suffer but to say that is as generic as saying that US food is MacDonalds, and I know that is not true. We have a triving food industry now, getting more exciting and back to real cuisine, both excellent British food and food influenced by other global cuisine, and many critics say that the top English restaurants cannot be surpassed anywhere in the world, I think you were a bit harsh.

:) Lulu, dear, I will take any and all kind of beating for the bad joke I've made, and except responsibility for it, and might even be forced to apologies. But, please, please, do not tell me about rations after the war when Millions, yes millions of Russians (and/or everybody else in Soviet Union) were dying from starvation after the war, and rationing never stopped, not until the brake up of the Soviet Union. My aunt and my mother seen their cousins dye in front of their eyes from malnourishment (sp?) and yet they are excellent chefs. Cooking variety of foods, Russian, Ukrainian, Jewish, Uzbek, Georgian, Moldavian etc, I was not harsh at all, it was a stupid joke, offensive, but stupid and I did not mean any harm. But I am being harsh right now. Don't ever tell a Russian, that you've lived the rations is the reason people do not know how to cook, you have no idea how bad rations could be and what they can do to you. G-d willing you should never know.

Now having said that, I have to admit top British anything cannot be surpassed. Well Germans might come close.

I've never tried any English dish, but I'll bet it's better that any American dish. I live in Los Angeles so I know what I'm talkin about.

Back
Top Bottom