I'm trying to find info which will explain the method of ho

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chinachef

Cook
I'm trying to find info which will explain the method of how to put together a big chicken shawarma on a skewer

From a google search.

The cone of meat, marinated in yogurt and seasoning, is layers upon layers of meat (lamb, beef or chicken place on a spit and topped off with an onion and lemon. The spit is placed vertically in front of an open flame.

As the meat cooks it is turned. The shawarma chef takes his sharp knife in hand and cuts off paper thin slices of cooked meat which drop into a waiting tray below.

The cooked meat, salad and yogurt or hot sauce are placed in the pocket of pita bread or on a long toasted roll. Delicious!!!!!

chinachef do you have access to a large rotisserie. If so you first need to get a large peice of meat (boneless) and then marinate it with ingredients listed below and then place it on the large metal skewer and turn the rotisserie on.

I don't have a rotisserie so I normally grill or roast my meat. I make a stand of aluminum foil to elevate the meat so that the fat and juices drip into the pan and the meat roasts rather than boils in that mixture.

I use whole chicken breast (since I get my meat from the butcher) it's easy to get the entire breast in one peice. Sometimes I use beef to make this and I use the Prime Beef Round or Rump Roast (the meat is much tender). You can similarly use lamb but get it deboned first and use a tender part like shank or leg.

Marinate the meat in the following:

1 cup of yogurt (greek or middleeastern is better since it's creamier)
1/2 tsp of ground cloves
1/2 tsp of ground cinnamon
pinch of nutmeg
1 tbsp of cilli powder
juice of 1 lemon
handful of parsley finely chopped
4 cloves of minced garlic
1 tsp of dried oregano
salt to taste

Marinate the meat in this mixture for several hours or overnight.

Now thread onto a metal skewer and grill or roast or rotisserie.

To serve you slice the meat thinly (if you have an electric knife it comes in handy to slice it thinly). Serve it on a pita, slathered with a garlic mayonnaise and some pickled cucumbers. You can even use a Taziki sauce (it's basically yogurt mixed with a clove of garlic and some grated cucumbers).

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom