Imam Biyaldi

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ishbel - here is the "other" history of the origin of the name of this dish ... as best as I can remember it.

The Imam was a very wealthy man, the majority of his wealth was in his vast stores of olive oil. He married and his new bride made this dish for him ... and he loved it so much he asked her to make it for him every night. After several days he came home one night and she had not prepared it for him. When he asked her why she said it was because she was out of olive oil. He "swooned/fainted" because she had used up all his olive oil and he was thus bankrupt!

Regardless of the "history" - I love this dish!!!

Snoop Puss said:
Hello pdswife. From the look of the flag you use, you must have what you consider to be an authentically Greek version! How do you cook it?

Not sure it's really Greek or not but, this is the recipe my Greek MIL gave me.
It's good!

3 or 4 eggplants ( The tiny Japanese kind work really well.)
1 pound diced onion ( I like the sweet onions)
olive oil
Chopped fresh parsley to taste
2-3 (or more if you like) chopped garlic cloves
salt and pepper to taste
1.5 cups chopped tomatoes

Wash eggplants, chop off the stems.
Make two or three long slits in each... be careful not to cut all the way through.
Soak them in salted water for 30 minutes, remove and squeeze to remove water.
Fry the onions and the garlic in some olive oil until they are soft but not brown add parsley, salt and pepper.
Mix in the onions.
Then take the mixture and fill the slits of the eggplant.
Arrange in a baking pan and cover with more of the tomato.

Bake at 350 for an hour or until eggplant are soft.
( I like to sprinkle some Parm. cheese on right before removing from
the oven.)

Enjoy.:):)

Interesting about the slits, pdswife. The recipe I use says not to cut the aubergines right through, but they nearly always split in the pan when I'm trying to fry them evenly. So I've just given up and cut right through anyway. Your version will use a lot less oil than mine so next time I make it, I'll give your recipe a go.
Thanks.

CharlieD said:
The stole it from Russians.
Well, having a degree in Russian studies, having lived in Russia, and being married to a man from Turkey... I'd say that you're full of it.

It uses olive oil... not a fat they use traditionally in Russia, where lard or vegetable oil are preferred.

The Greeks might claim it... the Italians, Maltese, Tunisians, the French, even. But the Russians can't, for sure.

Nevertheless... it's delicious and a staple in our house. Thank the Imam!

I thnk CharlieD is trotting out the 'party line' from the 'old' USSR!!!! I don't think he was serious :chef:

Thank you Ishbel, of course you are right.

Velochic, I don't think you got good greats in Russian studies. Sorry, but I feel bad for you and your expirience in Russia. When were you there? Where did you live? What id you eat? When considering Russia you really have to consider the foods from the whole Soviet Union. From the whole Russian empire. And what is available in store is really not up to psr to what is in culinary history of that country. ;)

My "greats" were fine. So were my grades. I lived there during the 90's in Moscow. I pretty much ate what everyone else did... whatever was available at the rynok... rarely bought anything at the western groceries, except for skim milk, which I bought at the Swiss grocery store. I'm sorry you feel bad for me. I feel bad for you. I was taught russian cooking at the elbow of a wonderful russian neighbor who got all of her recipes from her own babushka.

Come on then, CharlieD. Give us your Russian version of this dish and let's have done with the wind-ups. As Velochic's motto says, life's too short.

Another good twist on this great dish is to pierce the eggplant/aubergine (I honor all cultures!) several times, then put on your grill until the skin is slightly blackened. I do this when I'm grilling something else for dinner, then just put the eggplant in the fridge and peel when I have time. Mash, and follow through with any of the recipes. The little bit of smoky flavor is very complimentary and gives you something to make another day. As there are only two of us, when we put coals on the barbie, I cook for several meals. Serve with flatbread and have hummus on hand as well. Sit on the floor and pass the arak ... uh ... ouzo ... uh ... vodka ... uh ... mint tea.

Hey, if you don't like eggplant being called aubergine, how do you feel about courgettes? Food is the great bridge between cultures!!

Snoop, like I said, the only thing my grandma did not use were cumin seeds. Otherwise, it is the same recipe.

And velochick, sorry you did not get the humorous tone of my post.
As far as learning from somebody in Moscow, sorry to say, but I have never had a decent meal prepared by Muscovite in my entire life.(including my numerous relatieves) Whenever I went to restaurant in Moscow, I always had to order a lot of caviar and lox or other smoked type of fish. The things that they made it on premises were barely edible.

And I thought the Scots were straight talkers - you former USSR citizens leave us standing!:) :LOL:

One thing's for sure, it's not easy for a smile on the face and a giggle in the voice to come over in print. Now I understand the need for a smily every now and then!

SnoopP- I always HATED smilies, but having had my ironic sense of humour pulled up as sarcasm or hurtful, I use the things to ensure that people DO understand that I'm joking or speaking in a tongue-in-cheek manner :)

Michael in FtW said:
Yep - you just got to love that Irish whiskey! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :angel:

You obviously like to live dangerously, Michael..... IMO, There's only one type of whisky (no 'e') worth drinking.... and that's the stuff from Scotland... :) :LOL:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom