Indian Dosa

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gravy Queen

Head Chef
A really nice different recipe I tried after watching a Jamie Oliver programme.

Very pleased the dosa pancake worked well gluten free - using Doves Farm gluten and wheat free flour and gram flour - which is gluten free. A pretty foolproof batter (and I am a fool!).

The filling is potato mash basically using sweet potato and potato potato.:)
Its mashed together with chillies, lime , turmeric and I used onion (nigella) seeds as opposed to mustard seeds.

Vegetarian and gluten free. Here is a pic of mine and the receep:
amazing indian dosa | Jamie Oliver | Food | Recipes (UK)

Attachments

• Indian dosa.jpg
    Indian dosa.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 260
My favourite dish at the local cheapo restaurant.... it never occurred to me I could make them!

BTW - Yours looks even better than Jamie's!

Last edited:
lol, gq and harry. you're lucky none of the mods or admins speak your language. i get censored all the time for much less.

gob quack, your dosa looks amazing! your filling is spot on as well.

a dosa house opened near me recently and i've been pushing them to make me a really hot (spicy) one, but they still think i'm a gringo.

i love a good sour milk and coconut chutney with mine, to offset the herbs and spices.

a dosa house opened near me recently and i've been pushing them to make me a really hot (spicy) one, but they still think i'm a gringo.

i love a good sour milk and coconut chutney with mine, to offset the herbs and spices.

It's not about being non-Indian. Dosa filling is not typically super hot even in India.

If you want to spice it up, you need to look to some good achars (pickles) and chutney. Try your dosa with a ginger chutney.

BTW I just went and looked at the originating recipe. No offense, but that's not really a dosa - it's more of a super-thin chilla or dhokla. Which is fine. "Real" dosa batter is a real pain to make unless you have a good wet grinder or a Vitamix.

Dosa batter is made from fermented lentil/rice that you leave in water for hours. This is something else.

BTW I just went and looked at the originating recipe. No offense, but that's not really a dosa - it's more of a super-thin chilla or dhokla. Which is fine. "Real" dosa batter is a real pain to make unless you have a good wet grinder or a Vitamix.
Try this method its simple and I use it when im in the mood. When im not in the mood I use Gits Dosai mix.
dosa dosai - YouTube

Try this method its simple and I use it when im in the mood. When im not in the mood I use Gits Dosai mix.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bp-YNd_4N04&feature=relmfu

Yeah, you still need a super good grinder and you have to wait for it to ferment. I have found that mine ferments in 24 to 36 hours - not the 8 hours they usually tell you. Probably because it's a lot colder here than it is in India. One of these days I'm going to try to put the batter in a warmer to keep it at least 95 F and see if that speeds up fermentation.

I haven't tried a Gits mix in 25 years or more. I guess I should pick one up and try again - but the mixes I've tried in the last couple of years, while ok, were nowhere near as good as making it from scratch.

Dosa batter is made from fermented lentil/rice that you leave in water for hours. This is something else.

Exactly. I'm sure it's tasty, but it's not actually dosa. It's basically a quick dhokla batter that's made like a crepe instead of like a thick pancake as is the norm for dhokla.

Which is fine - I'll probably give it a try myself. There's a reason people don't eat dosa as often as they'd like - it's time consuming to make and there just aren't any good shortcuts.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom