Indian vegetable Biryani

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jazz

Assistant Cook
Indian Vegetable Biryani

Link provided as recipe is copyrighted. Please refrain from posting copyrighted recipes. Please see our Copyright Policies in the Community Forum and Announcements.

Last edited by a moderator:
shpj4 said:
It is nice to meet you and welcome to DC. Your receipe is unique and unusual. Thank you for sharing it with us.

not unusual to an ex-pat Englishman. That was part of my staple diet in London!
Thank you, jazz!

Ooooh lovely. I've been looking for a good biryani recipe... Thanks! For the "fresh, thick, curds" do you mean cubes of paneer or what?

Welcome to DC!

Thankx all for liking the post...

@grumblebee - "Fresh, thick curds" doesnt mean Paneer.. It is just fresh curd.

Try it and lemme know how was it...

Aren't large, fresh curds what you get when you separate the whey when making cheese????? You can then take these curds and place in boiling water and squish with the proper gloves on - voila - you have made mozzarella cheese. From there you can roll out and cover with pest, prosciutto, sundried tomatoes, roll up jelly roll fashion and slice. Isn't this the curds referenced to?

Reply to Jazz

Thanks Jazz

I love Indian food.
Unfortunately, the link u gave wont work,at the moment. I will get back to it, later.

Mel

kitchenelf said:
Aren't large, fresh curds what you get when you separate the whey when making cheese????? You can then take these curds and place in boiling water and squish with the proper gloves on - voila - you have made mozzarella cheese. From there you can roll out and cover with pest, prosciutto, sundried tomatoes, roll up jelly roll fashion and slice. Isn't this the curds referenced to?

Yeah, that's what I thought... that's why I was thinking the east indian equivelent would be paneer.

Wondering why yogurt is called "curd" when it isn't curdled. Don't you add lemon juice or vinegar to make it curdle and create it yogurt cheese?

In the US "curds" are a rubbery fresh cheese.

Jennyema the reason it's called curds in India is because yogurt has solids and liquids. The solid portions are called curds and the liquid is whey. In most Indian preparations the solid portions are heavily used ( so you drain our the whey) given the yogurt there is not as thick as say what a middle eastern or greek yogurt looks like.

When you cook with yogurt you lose a lot of volume (as it cooks it converts back into watery liquid) so the thicker the better especially for preparations such as biryani or any other full bodied curry or marinades.

Hello

I still cant get onto that website for the byriani receipe.
Would somebody copy and paste it here.

Mel

Mel! said:
Hello

I still cant get onto that website for the byriani receipe.
Would somebody copy and paste it here.

Mel

This recipe cannot be copied and pasted here because it is copyrighted.

This the reminder that was added to the link: "Please refrain from posting copyrighted recipes. Please see our Copyright Policies in the Community Forum and Announcements."

I think the link works now.

Last edited:
Yakuta said:
Jennyema the reason it's called curds in India is because yogurt has solids and liquids. The solid portions are called curds and the liquid is whey. In most Indian preparations the solid portions are heavily used ( so you drain our the whey) given the yogurt there is not as thick as say what a middle eastern or greek yogurt looks like.

When you cook with yogurt you lose a lot of volume (as it cooks it converts back into watery liquid) so the thicker the better especially for preparations such as biryani or any other full bodied curry or marinades.

Yakuta,

Thanks. So the yogurt is drained but not "curdled" (as we in the states know it) by adding acid. Because that would make paneer, right? In this case the yogurt is an ingredient in the sauce, and not a "chunky" ingredient?

Wow Kitchenelf
I knew how to make the curds, but the rest of it...
I am certainly putting this in my cookery notes.

Mel

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom