Iranian food suggestions please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

David Cottrell

Head Chef
I am looking for a suggestion from someone knowledgeable in the Iranian cusine and culture. A typical dish, or dishes that would go together. Any recommendations - with recipes naturally would be appreciated. This is to celebrate friendship through food which as you know has no politics or borders. Thanks. D

Last edited:
I don't know any Iranian recipes but I had an Iranian friend in college and she made the most wonderful food for us - that was 20 years ago. She made a traditional Iranian feast for us when college ended, it was great.
I'd love some good ethnic recipes, Iranian or otherwise.

Thanks Toots

I don't know any Iranian recipes but I had an Iranian friend in college and she made the most wonderful food for us - that was 20 years ago. She made a traditional Iranian feast for us when college ended, it was great.
I'd love some good ethnic recipes, Iranian or otherwise.

Have you ever looked up Claudia Roden's cook books - excellent recipes and stories about the cultures. Look her up at amazon.com. I have used her book on Middle Eastern Cooking with good success. I hope that someone with first hand knowledge - like you college friend - will step up with personal suggestions for me because I know the food tradition is great! As you confirmed.

We love to go to this Persian (Iranian) restaurant in the Chicago area called Reza's. They serve lamb, hummus, pita bread, dill rice, cous cous, dolmeh (grape leaves stuffed with veggies, lentils, etc.) chicken kabobs, falafel, baba ghannouj(roasted eggplant). For more info check out their website: Welcome to Reza's Restaurant!. I am sure your friend will be thrilled with the meal you prepare.

kabob, for the win!

I am not sure as to how traditional it all really is, but here are some of my faves.

kubideh: ground sirloin w/ grated onions, herbs(coriander and other stuff), spices, and char broiled.

Mantu: steamed dumplings filled with onions beef more of the special herbs and spices and served with yogurt sauce.

Flalfel! I LOVE falafel. basically chick pea flour fritters.

Quabili Palau: Chunks of beef, I think the use just sirloin, marinated in vinegar, herbs spices, and normally served over rice. the topping is what is unusual. Spiced sweet carrot strips and raisins. D-LISH!

Dal: Curried lentils

sabzi: Sauteed spinach with some other secret things I have not figured out yet.

Firnee: A white custardy dessert dish, with a very subtle flavor, and topped with toasted ground pistachios.

Doogh: A VERY refreshing and different type of yogurt based beverage.

There are a lot of parallels between Indian, Afghan, Iranian, Lebanese and Turkish food from m experiences. Great flavor profile, I love it and could eat it everyday.

Normally there is no flat ware usage too, the bread is the "fork/spoon" and all done one handed(right hand). Quite a skill to master, harder then chop sticks.

HERE is a link to the basic of the cuisine. I seriously eat at a local Persian place like twice a week minimum, and have never had a bad meal. I love it.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom