ISO a good bottled stir fry sauce

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

giggler

Sous Chef
I'm looking for a bottled sauce.

I love to read PPo's sauce recipes, but for me, cooking for two, well I just don't have all the ingredients!

I have a very nice Asian Market just up the street, and they have like hundreds of prepared bottled sauces to choose from!

Has anyone tried these? a specific brand perhaps?

I generaly order brown/ garlic sauce when I call in from my nice local Asian restaurant, and they seem to know exactly what I want.

Thanks, Eric Austin Tx.

When I have a question like yours I go to the asian market: "Excuse me. I'm looking for the very best stir fry sauce you've got. If you were going to buy one of these sauces for your grandma which one would you choose please".
I've done this in asian markets/stores a number of times for different items and it works like a darn. Lots of smiles. Make sure to buy a basket full of things! LOL

Stir fry sauces are simple fare and there is no reason not to maker your own, even when cooking for two. All of the Asian ingredients like chili garlic sauce and hoisin sauce will last at least 3 months in your refrigerator​

Depending on what you are making, select beef, chicken, or vegetable broth as appropriate.

Kung Pao Sauce

2 Tbs soy sauce
1 Tbs rice wine or dry white wine
2 Tbs balsamic vinegar
1 tsp sugar
1 cup broth
1 Tbs cornstarch, dissolved in 4 Tbs water​

Add the sauce to the completed stir fry and bring it to a boil. Add the cornstarch slurry to the sauce, reduce the heat to low and simmer until desired thickness​

Mongolian Sauce
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]1 tsp cornstarch [/FONT]​
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]1 tsp turbinado sugar[/FONT]​
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]1 tsp chili garlic sauce [/FONT]​
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]2 Tbs dry sherry, white wine, or rice wine[/FONT]​
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]2 Tbs hoisin sauce[/FONT]​
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]2 Tbs soy sauce[/FONT]​
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]1/4 cup broth[/FONT]​
Combine all ingredients. [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Add sauce to stir fry and heat until sauce has thickened[/FONT]

This is a little more complicated, but it goes really good with seafood:

Coconut Caramel Sauce
  • 2 cups demerara sugar
  • 1½ cups coconut milk
  • 3 Tbs Asian fish sauce
  • ¼ cup minced shallots
  • 1 Tbs minced fresh ginger
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • Fresh ground black pepper to taste
Place the sugar in a 10- to 12-inch frying pan over medium heat. Whisk the sugar until it is melted and dark amber colored, 3 to 5 minutes. Add ½ cup of coconut milk. Mixture will bubble vigorously. Stir over medium heat until caramelized sugar is dissolved.

Stir in the fish sauce, shallots, ginger, garlic, and the remaining coconut milk and stir over medium-high heat until it reaches the desired thickness. Add fresh ground black pepper to taste and serve over seafood

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom