ISO Authentic Mexican Ingredients

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dkcook

Assistant Cook
I love cooking authentic Mexican dishes - no not tacos and nachos - but real Mexican. The problem I am having is finding epizote (an herb used widely) and good Mexican cheeses. Any good websites or ideas?

Around here, dried Epazote along with other authentic Mexican ingredients are readily available at our local WalMart. Probably because we do have a relatively large Hispanic population here.

I can't believe you can't find a source by doing a websearch - it's really very commonly available. In addition, although it does reseed heavily & can become invasive, it's extremely easy to grow, & the fresh is 100 times better than the dried. I find the dried relatively worthless.

Have you tried searching for Mexican grocery stores/markets in your area. We have a few here. Maybe you have some locally that you are unaware of?

I've been trying to find epazote for over a year now. We have several Mexican grocery stores, but if they have it, I haven't realized what it was.

I can get many kinds of Mexican cheeses at the local Wally Worlds. There's another local grocery store chain here that even has some Annatto seeds. I've found banana leaves at both Mexican and Asian grocery stores.

Back
Top Bottom