ISO bean recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

elaine l

Head Chef
I would like to make the beans like they serve in Brazilian restaurants. I think they are just pink beans and not sweet but not sure of anything else.

Are you referring to pinto beans? They are simply cooked with a ham hock, salt, and chopped onion. You can also use a leftover ham bone. Before I go into too much detail I'll await your response. Though that's about all there is to it - cook until done. :chef:

I bought pink beans because they closely resembled what I was looking for. It could be pinto beans. I planned on using just what you suggested but wondered if there was something I was missing. Sofrito or something like that. May or may not be in the recipe.

Were there tomatoes in the bean dish? Pink beans will work no matter what was in the original dish you saw. Pink beans would probably be closer to what they used anyway.

I would simply add garlic and tomatoes to the above "recipe" I gave you - still using smoked ham hocks and onions. Just follow the directions on the bag and include these other ingredients.

These beans and this cornbread is called dinner at our house! :chef:

Cheesy Spoon Bread

Part #1
1 4-oz. can green chilies, chopped
1 1/2 C shredded cheddar cheese

Part #2 Ingredients:
1 can cream style corn
3/4 cup milk
2 eggs
1/3 cup cooking oil

Part #3 Ingredients:
1 1/4 cup yellow cornmeal
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt

Method:

Take out seeds and veins from green chilies if using whole ones and chop. Otherwise, just use chopped ones.

Mix together all ingredients in Part #2. - set aside.

Mix together all ingredients in Part #3. - set aside.

Butter a 9 x 9 baking pan. Mix #2 and #3 together. Pour 1/2 of the batter into pan. Sprinkle 1/2 of cheese and all of chilies on top of this layer. Pour rest of batter on top of this and then top with remaining cheese.

Bake in 400-degree oven for 30 minutes. Cool a bit and serve.

For spicier cornbread add jalapeno peppers, Chalula is my new favorite hot sauce over Tabasco or cayenne for a bite.

Wow that sounds good! I think I will add that to my menu. Thanks

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom