ISO Curry/Corriander help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
"Chile" vs. "Chili"

GotGarlic - this is a semantics point that many people will fight to their graves.

"Chile Pepper" magazine notwithstanding (which I used to subscribe to), I took my definitions from good old Webster's Dictionary. I'll take them over a magazine any day. (Sorry, Chile Pepper Magazine - lol!!)

"Chili" covers both the peppers & the "stew". "Chile" is the country. At least for me.

But I know that many will disagree with me, & that's their prerogative. ;)

The Merriam-Webster site offers chili as the American spelling of the pepper with chile, the Spanish spelling, as a variant. Further, they spell chile rellenos (stuffed peppers) with an "e" rather than an "i". It appears both are acceptable. No bubbles to be burst here.

As a convention in the food world, using chile and chili to have the meanings we are familiar is a convenience for easy differentiation between peppers and stews or between ground pepper powder vs a mix of spices.

Just a short note be very carefull with curry powder.. Domestic (Mc Cormic) is mild Thi
is in ranges from hot to omg hot. Indian curry can blister the crome on your bumper but some of it can be very good just taste very carefully. I bought some curry paste that took my head off and I am a chili head. GO SLOW

As far as the spelling. I agree, chile covers the peppers and chili is the dish. Well, there is of course the usual British spelling : chilli, which they use for both and is really confusing.

Curry as a spice can be a mix of a lot of spices. Best to make your own!
As a dish, it doesn't even have to contain any "curry" spice.(meaning the well known yellow powder)
If I remember correctly, the British came up with the name curry, probably coming from the name of kari leaf, that is used in many dishes in India.

There are also curry leaves (from a curry plant) that are used often to flavor Indian dishes.

I'd suggest buying an Indian curry blend from Penzey's if you don't want to make your own.

I'd also suggest buying a can of prepared southeat asian curry paste from an asian store and adding coconut milk, fish sauce and lime to it an duse it as a curry sauce for chicken, shrimp or beef.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom