ISO : Gumbo recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aubie85

Assistant Cook
I want to cook gumbo this weekend. I have a large burner and pot. I will be cooking at a tailgate. I need a good simple recipe. Thanks for the help

I like John Folse, we used to get his cooking on PBS but I haven't been able to get it lately. I wish he had a show on the Food TV Network

later

Gumbo is my next challenge. I've been told that it's easy, but I really want to get it right.. Thanks for asking the question. I can't wait to try it.

Gumbo is fun and great tasting. Making Gumbo at home and making it at a tailgate in the parking lot are two greatly different things.

First of all the essense of gumbo is the roux. If you can make a great roux standing in a parking lot, possibly under rain or cold conditions, then you should have no problem. If you use "fake" roux, as in frozen or pre-made, or heaven forbid- packaged- then the rest of the ingredients should make no difference whatsoever. Just have lots of beer and no one will notice.

If you want to make good gumbo in either the kitchen or the parking lot- read K-Paul's book, Louisiana Cooking...

Go Gators...

candelbc said:
Gumbo is my next challenge. I've been told that it's easy, but I really want to get it right.. Thanks for asking the question. I can't wait to try it.

Easy? I don't know about that. Its one of those dishes i had problems with when i first started trying to cook it. SO you ask what is so hard about it? Getting the roux right if your cooking the type of gumbo that calls for a dark roux (which is the type i make since i don't like seafood). The distinction between dark and burned roux is very hard to master at first. I have finally mastered it but it took me some time and waisted money before i could master it. Its nothing that someone can teach you to do. It requires trial and error.

ncage

Back
Top Bottom