ISO help making good Sesame Shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blissful

Master Chef
I made some sesame shrimp but I need to change the recipe to make it better.
The sauce was 1 cup orange juice, 2 Tablespoons of soy sauce and 1 tablespoon sugar, reduced to 1/3 cup. (this was a little too thin and I would prefer to have twice the volume)
The batter was 2 egg whites, 1/4 cup cornstarch for 1 and 1/2 lbs of shrimp. Fried in oil in batches (4). (The batter was too thin and I'd like it to be thicker but very crisp, like a tempura.)
Place the fried shrimp on hot rice, pour some of the reduction over it, sprinkle with chopped green onions and toasted sesame seeds.
The tastes were pretty good, the textures were off. Can you suggest how you might change it? TIA
~Bliss

I love sesame anything. I make my own thing of : toasted sesame seeds, you have to do that yourself, alittle sesame oil, about a tsp.,
about 1 clove minced garlic, 1/4 cup soy sauce, a small can of crushed pineapple (you need an acid-this is it), grated fresh ginger,about a tsp., marinade about an hour on the counter 1 hour, covered. Then I remove shrimp to a pan with about 1 TBSP of cooking oil, saute, I add about 2 TBSP of water to marinade and place in small pan and reduce to desired thickness and serve over rice. This picks up more flavor than making a tempura and rice and serving sauce over it. But if you want a tempura. I suggest McCormick's box Golden Dipt-japanese style Tempura and make sauce as above, reduce and serve over tempura shrimp and rice.

This can be done with chicken breast chucks like for shish-kabob size, as well.

Suggestion: if you use the box tempura, use beer insead of water.
Yummy, tasty!!!!!

The batter was 2 egg whites, 1/4 cup cornstarch for 1 and 1/2 lbs of shrimp. Fried in oil in batches (4). (The batter was too thin and I'd like it to be thicker but very crisp, like a tempura.)
~Bliss

So were the egg whites beaten into peaks for this batter? That's the only way I can interpret this batter. I like to beat the whites to stiff peaks and then gently fold in some lightly beaten yolks, as well. It makes a fluffy but substantial coating that fries up to a beautiful golden color. Maybe not quite as crisp as a tempura, but a simple and tasty alternative that I think you'll enjoy.

Quick, the sauce made with pineapple juice sounds really good, I'm going to try it.
Jill, it didn't say to whip the egg whites so I didn't. I might have to give that a try.
I really appreciate the comments and information. We loved the dish but it needs some improvements. Thank you! ~Bliss

Try this:

Heat oil for frying (Canola or Peanut w/ a splash of sesame oil for flavor), enough to cover shrimp at least half way.

Season 1/2 cup all-purpose flour with 1 tsp salt and 1 tsp pepper. Dump onto a plate.

Separate 2 eggs.

Whisk the whites until just starting to hold stiff peaks. Light;ly beat the yolks and fold them into the egg white foam.

Roll the shrimp in the flour and shake off excess.

Coat the shrimp by dipping in the batter, being sure to coat them evenly and entirely.

Drop into hot oil and fry on both sides until golden. Remove to paper towels.

Serve with rice and drizzle with sauce.

Back
Top Bottom