ISO help making potato pancakes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

giggler

Sous Chef
Dear Spouse asked for these today.

I searched some, and don't really know them.

Hash Browns with egg and flour to bind?

but milk to make it like a batter that makes pancakes?

I have frozen hash brown bag, hope that will work!

I do have apple sauce or sour creme to dip.

Thanks, Eric, Austin Tx.

There are several versions of "potato pancakes". We generally use leftover mashed potatoes. I think what you are looking for are potato latkes. They generally use grated potatoes.

For my potato pancakes, I use 4 C peeled cubed potatoes, 1/4 C flour, 1 egg, 1 onion-chopped, salt and pepper to taste. I put this in the blender, adding the potatoes gradually, until they turn into a coarse batter. Fry in oil. We like these rather than the better-known grated potatoes.

For my potato pancakes, I use 4 C peeled cubed potatoes, 1/4 C flour, 1 egg, 1 onion-chopped, salt and pepper to taste. I put this in the blender, adding the potatoes gradually, until they turn into a coarse batter. Fry in oil. We like these rather than the better-known grated potatoes.

Those sound good, I wonder how it would work with carrots, zucchini or sweet potatoes, time to dig out the blender! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

I'm curious what do you serve with them?

For my Kartoffel Puffer, I usually use 2-3 leftover boiled potatoes, grated, and equal amount of raw potato, grated (squeeze the water out), onion (grated), egg, flour, S&P. A hot pan to which you add about 2T oil. Drop a "ball" of the potato mixture in the pan, flatten. Cook 2-3 minutes each side. When I lived in Germany, this is what we did with leftover boiled potatoes. How much flour? Enough so that you can form a ball. It will still be sticky, but should stay together. You can use all raw potatoes if you don't have any leftover boiled potatoes. Some people add grated apple to the mix. It is up to you.

Here's a link with measurements that is pretty much how I make mine.

http://www.carrieandjonathan.com/kartoffel-puffer-german-potato-pancakes/

Last edited:
Those sound good, I wonder how it would work with carrots, zucchini or sweet potatoes, time to dig out the blender! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

I'm curious what do you serve with them?

I just make a big plate of them and DH eats them as is. He doesn't like anything on them. Otherwise, they would be served as the starchy side dish of a meat and potatoes type meal.

Back
Top Bottom