ISO Lebanese "baklava" info!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well the nutty centre is vey unstable in the best I have had too.

If you were to prepare the nuts in your thicker syrup and roll them in foil, like a biscuit dough fr the freezer, till they set, that might help. Indeed, could you freeze them thus prepared to set them so?

Then roll the kataifi similarly on foil, put the cylinder of nuts in and gently use foil to roll up (like when baking a swiss roll or similar) then refreeze to get a stable unit pre-sauteeing?

I think you should keep trying with the kataifi because while it would taste good with pastry you and I know this stuff is delicious and what sets it apart! Good luck! Sound delicious so far!

Very good ideas Lulu -- thanks!

Never made a swiss roll but I think I see what you're driving at -- the role of the foil would be to hold the kataifi in place? That was definitely a challenge so I'll go with the foil idea happily.

Okay, fair enough, you and I DO know how worth it these are, so I'll persist with the kataifi (my favorite little workshop was closed Saturday since it's still high holiday time here in Greece, so I had to get the supermarket version -- chances are good that if I get it at the workshop I can get some a little less folded up into a mass and then, just maybe, it will be a bit easier to work with?)

We finished the pistachio one last night. Should probably try again next weekend, wouldn't you say?

I'd say yes!

Hmm, wish I were in Athens to help with the taste testing, lol! As it is I'll enjoy it through your updates. Better for my diet, huh?!

C'mon down Lulu! Although hubby wouldn't be happy to have you. Less for him you know, oink, oink, oink.

As for your diet, better, yes, but you'll be skinny and green with envy, won't you?!

need kadaif/kataifi recipe

Hi, I'm brand new and have never used any forum anywhere before. I found this forum thru Google and signed on. But looking on the site, I see "ethnic". How do I find this thread or other specific threads again?

Anyway, to the reason I signed on: In the past I had a wonderful and easy recipe for kadaif/kataifi that used shredded wheat cereal from the box instead of phyllo.
The recipe wandered off, and I have been unsuccessful finding it since. I would appreciate help in finding it, or a similar recipe, again.

Thanks

Hello Sweet Annie! To find it again perhaps the easiest way is to search using the search option third from the right at the top of the screen - I might be wrong but that is how I do it! If it is a recent or current thread it MIGHT be there if you click new posts!

Hi Sweet Annie --

I can only hope you've figured out how to find this thread and page again since otherwise whatever I have to offer will not reach you!

In any event, to find this thread of this forum ... start on the home page (www.discusscooking.com) then click on "forum listings" under "quick links" which is in the upper left-hand corner of the page (home page and perhaps all others ... scroll up right now on this page and you'll see it). Thereafter, scroll down the list of forums until you find "ethnic" then click on it. Within you'll see recent threads and if you remember the name of this thread, you locate it and click on it (it should also be a different color than the others since you've been in it). Alternatively, of course, follow Lulu's sound advice and do a search!

As for the kadaif and shredded wheat: please note that while you call the entire dish you're looking for "kadaif/kataifi" those words really only refer to the "dough" itself that's used, i.e. the stuff that's very much like shredded wheat (although shredded wheat is baked and hard whereas kataifi is raw, soft and malleable).

However, it seems possible that you could come up with something very tasty using shredded wheat, even if it's not really authentic (I remember my mom making french toast with shredded wheat -- it was yummy!). Is the dish you're remembering with a filling of some kind? Can you describe the whole dish? If you could, I'm sure we can help you get what you want.

Hope to hear back from you!

Last edited:
Ayrton and Lulu,

Thanks for your help already. I only made the dish once, and it was years ago, but here goes -

Crumble the large shredded wheat cakes
Mix in nuts and butter, lemon juice?, and cinnamon (and more spices?) and ????
Place in 8x8 or 9x9 square pan
Pour honey, lemon juice? more nuts? on top.(Or maybe you do this after baking)
Bake about 325 - 350
Take out of oven,
Let cool
Slice in small squares, about brownie size. The wheat is no longer crunchy, but the strands remain individually visible.
Devour...mmmmm

To me, it was easily as good as the "real thing."

sweet annie
I hope this helps.

Actually, it's about as simple as the real thing as well. The only difference is that you use the shredded kadaif dough in place of the cereal.

Hi Andy,

But isn't the kadaif dough or phyllo uncooked to begin with? How does that affect things? The shredded wheat is cooked and crispy.

sweet annie

Yes, it's uncooked but just as with the shredded wheat, you bake it and they both come out of the oven cooked. So I'm not sure what you gain by using the shredded wheat in place of the real thing.

Andy, Bless your heart! I think I see a light at the end of the tunnel.

These are the benefits as I see them:
I live miles from a full-size grocery, and that is a Wal-Mart.
I know how to handle shredded wheat. It's fun to crumble.
I can store it in the pantry.

Would the actual kadaif dough be any better/easier/cheaper?
More fun?

So - please talk me through this - do I just substitute? Is it really that easy? Or do you think the actual baking process should be amended to compensate for the change of ingredient?

sweet annie

If you can find the dough, it's usualy frozen and will keep frozen for quite a while. Since I don't buy shredded wheat, I don't know how the prices compare.

The khadaif dough has to be fluffed and spread out in the pan. I can't speak to the relative fun factor.

If I could get the real thing, I'd prefer to do so. But that's just me. I think you should at least try the real thing to see how the preparation differs and to judge the taste and texture differences. Then you can decide for yourself if the difference is important.

The basic dish is relatively simple to make so I can't see the cereal saves you a great deal of time.

The dough is shredded and folded up in the box. You have to go through it and make sure any clumps are spearated and fluffed up. Then you spread half of it in the pan, add the filling and top with the rest of the dough. Then you bake it until the top is a light golden brown.

Add the syrup and you're done.

Andy -

The instructions are great.
Can't wait.
Your instructions regarding handling the dough are clear and straightforward.
I think I was a little intimidated when I have run across it in the past, but I feel confident about handling it now.

Thank you so much,

sweet annie

Back
Top Bottom