ISO lost Enchillada casserole recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Glorie

Senior Cook
Years ago I had a recipe for an enchillada casserole that was made with black beans, rice, corn, chicken, enchillada sauce and tortilla chips. Does anyone have anything similar?

Here's one I make often - I use ground beef instead of chicken, but chicken would be good, too, as well as using tortilla chips instead of tortillas. You can skip the sauce recipe and use canned enchilada sauce if you prefer:

Karen's "enchilada" casserole:

Sauce:

4-5 dried ancho chiles
3 cloves garlic
1/2 large white onion, chopped
5-6 roma tomatoes
1/2 cup of the chile cooking liquid
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. sugar
6 oz tomato puree or sauce

Soak the chiles in hot water for 1/2 hour, remove stems and seeds and chop.
Peel the tomatoes (I do this by leaving them in boiling water for a few minutes) and chop. Combine all of the sauce ingredients and cook for about 30 minutes, until onions are a little tender. Put all cooked ingredients in blender and puree, 1/2 cup at a time. Add tomato puree and sugar.

Casserole:
1 pound ground beef
1/2 onion, chopped
2 cloves chopped garlic
salt and pepper to taste
6-8 small corn tortillas
2 TBS corn oil
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 can sweet corn, drained and rinsed
2 cups grated cheese (either Mexican Oaxacan, jack or cheddar)

Brown the ground beef and onion, salt to taste. Add the corn and beans, along with the prepared sauce. (You may have to hold back some of the sauce - don't make it too soupy. Or use a large can of enchilada sauce.

In a large frying pan, cook the tortillas just a few minutes each side with the corn oil, just until they are crispy.

Layer the tortillas (you may have to cut them up a bit to fit your dish), meat mixture and cheese twice in a casserole dish. Put in 350 degree oven for about 20 minutes, until cheese is bubbly.

Back
Top Bottom