ISO Mexican red and green sauce recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jeekinz

Washing Up
We ordered Mexican food a couple weeks ago and it came with two containers of sauce, one red and one green. They were liquidy like a thin tomato sauce. Anyone have the recipe for these? Especially the green one.

Thanks.

I think you are referring to green enchilada sauce and red enchilada sauce?

I've always just bought mine...I'm sure homemade would be better...I guess I'll go search.

I really don't know what it's called. I remember the lady asking which one, but I didn't understand and just said "ok." :angel:

It's a condiment though. I've had Ahi before with empenadas but this is more liquidy.

Jeekinz,
are you looking for a tomatillo sauce..I don't often make a red sauce but do make the green tomatillo for my chicken enchiladas.

kadesma

Here is a Tomatillo sauce recipe that looks pretty authentic to my area...

I don't know if I'm suposed to "copy" like this, but since it looks like a Rick Bayless recipe anyway here goes...

Tomatillo Sauce Recipe | Recipezaar

I make a pretty good Red Sauce about once a week. I eat it all the time with tortilla chips. I'll share that if you like...

Eric, Austin Tx.

Jeeks - Was the green sauce hot (spicy). If not, you are lookimg for Tomatillo Sauce. If it is hot that is another matter.

Yep. Both are spicy hot but the red one is more burning hot. The green had some nice heat and great flavor, too.

Jeeks, here is the recipe I use for Salsa Verde, identical to the sauce we are served here and similar to Rick Bayless':

Salsa de Tomate Verde Cocida

3 cups (750 ml.) water
2 ½ tsp. salt
2 cloves garlic
4 chiles serranos
1 pound tomates verdes, husks removed
½ cup loosely packed cilantro
¼ cup finely chopped onion

In a saucepan, bring the water and 1 tsp. of the salt to a boil. Add the garlic, chiles and tomates verdes and simmer, uncovered for 8-10 minutes. Drain, reserving ½ cup of the liquid.
Transfer the garlic, chiles, tomatoes verdes & liquid to a blender. Add the cilantro & remaining salt & puree briefly and CAREFULLY.
Stir in the chopped onion & let the sauce cool before serving.

Your red sauce sounds like a Salsa Ranchero, which is pretty hot, and is also served universally here as a table salsa. Here is a recipe:

2 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
2 pounds (about 4 large) fresh ripe tomatoes, roasted
5 serrano chiles, roasted
2 tablespoons vegetable oil (neutral flavor, safflower, canola)
2 rounded tablespoons finely chopped white onion
1/2 teaspoon salt (or to taste) preferably sea or Kosher salt
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1] [/SIZE][/FONT]

Place garlic, tomatoes and chiles into a blender or food processor and blend to a slightly chunky (not smooth) sauce.

Heat the oil in a heavy frying pan and add the onion and cook until it becomes translucent, about 3 minutes. Add the blended ingredients and cook over high heat till reduced by half. Make sure to keep scraping the bottom of the pan. There will be flecks of charred tomato and chile skin which is the way the sauce should be.

Having given you these recipes, however, you can find very good canned alternatives if your grocery store has a Mexican section (I used to buy these in Portland all the time). The brand you want is HERDEZ, and it comes in small cans. Look for Salsa Verde and Salsa Ranchero.

jeekz - note that MK is spelling it differently than you - you are spelling it tomatoes while she is spelling it tomate/s...big difference in the two.

And yes, MK, most still have the husks still on them.

Last edited:
I guess I am using the Spanish term; they are not called tomatillos here. And giggler is right - I don't think they are tomatoes. Whatever they are, they sure are good, and we really enjoy the salsa. I also have a recipe for meatballs (albondigas) that uses them...I'll post it if you'd like. They're really yummy.

I guess I am using the Spanish term; they are not called tomatillos here. And giggler is right - I don't think they are tomatoes. Whatever they are, they sure are good, and we really enjoy the salsa. I also have a recipe for meatballs (albondigas) that uses them...I'll post it if you'd like. They're really yummy.

My guacamole recipe uses some - it's good too! They are in the tomato family just a different genus.

MK, Please share your albondigas recipe with us. I love albondigas and have always wanted to make them. Thanks for sharing your other recipes, also. :clap:

My green sauce recipe is almost exactly like Mexico Karen's. The only difference is that I use chicken stock at the end.

My red sauce recipe is about the same as well, although I add a bit of cilantro.

I think she has given you some really classic recipes.

The husks are the outer coverings of the tomatillos.

Back
Top Bottom