ISO Seaweed recipes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ScruffyAsh

Assistant Cook
Hi all

I have recently discovered the incredible taste and nutritional value of seaweed through my Korean cooking class.

So far I have made a seaweed soup and a simple seaweed entree (just boiling salted kelp, cut to large squares and serve with chilli sauce). And of course I absolutely adore the marinaded seaweed salad from sushi restaurants.

Does anyone have any good seaweed recipes to share? Also please specify which type of seaweed is used.

I have never really done any kind of cooking with seaweed other than the nori, used to make sushi rolls.

I'll marinate a piece of ahi tuna in a ponzu-like sauce, spread both sides with wasabi, and cut a piece of nori to fit top and bottom. Sear.

I only use it in soups really, so I also will be watching this thread closely for further ideas.

I sometimes add the Japanese "hiziki" seaweed to stirfries & Japanese soups - soaked first, of course.

I used to work in a health-food restaurant that used to serve it as a side dish, but I found it much too "fishy" for my taste served that way. Plus, it was way too similar-looking to the rockweed they used to pack my sand & bloodworms in at the NY bait shop I used to frequent before going fishing with my dad. It was hard to not imagine finding a worm while eating the hiziki in a mound like that - lol!!!

BreezyCooking said:
Plus, it was way too similar-looking to the rockweed they used to pack my sand & bloodworms in at the NY bait shop I used to frequent before going fishing with my dad. It was hard to not imagine finding a worm while eating the hiziki in a mound like that - lol!!!

:sick: ...........................

I, too, love seaweed salad. I've never tried to make it. I've eaten various versions of it in Korean and Japanese restaurants and it seems very simple. In Hawaii we could just buy it ready-made at the grocery store. Here you can't find anything like it. I've had it both just seaweed and seasonings (I think just sesame seeds, oil, and maybe a llittle rice vinegar would be my guess), and sometimes with rice noodles as well (for this you would boil the noodles very lightly and rinse in cold water). I would think that most cooked spinach recipes would be adaptable to seaweed.

Back
Top Bottom