"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 03-23-2007, 10:37 PM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire
 
kadesma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: california
Posts: 21,371
ISO Taquitos Recipe

Well my grandson Cade has at 6 graduated to the ranks of the ones who ask for their favorites for our sunday dinners I got a call, asking me if for sunday I would make steak taquitos for him, Ethan and Carson for sunday, the other could have steak tacos!!! Okay, now I've made enchiladas,tacos, burritos, but never taquitos I NEED HELP!!! I'm sure I can manage the shredded meat filling but how the devil do you put these things together and cook them so as not to dissapoint this little guy?

kadesma

__________________
HEAVEN is Cade, Ethan,Carson, and Olivia,Alyssa,Gianna
kadesma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 10:41 PM   #2
The Dude Abides
 
TATTRAT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bermuda Native in D.C./NoVA
Posts: 5,476
Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
roll your filling in a small corn tortilla, secure the flap with a tooth pic, and deep fry till golden. Super easy, have no fear.
__________________
flickr

@JONOBRANDS
TATTRAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 10:44 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire
 
kadesma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: california
Posts: 21,371
Quote:
Originally Posted by TATTRAT
roll your filling in a small corn tortilla, secure the flap with a tooth pic, and deep fry till golden. Super easy, have no fear.
Thank you Tat, I thought that was what was done, but!!!
We both shall be forever gratefull. I owe ya one
kadesma
__________________
HEAVEN is Cade, Ethan,Carson, and Olivia,Alyssa,Gianna
kadesma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 10:54 PM   #4
Head Chef
 
skilletlicker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Memphis, TN
Posts: 2,024
Quote:
Originally Posted by kadesma
Well my grandson Cade has at 6 graduated to the ranks of the ones who ask for their favorites for our sunday dinners I got a call, asking me if for sunday I would make steak taquitos for him, Ethan and Carson for sunday, the other could have steak tacos!!! Okay, now I've made enchiladas,tacos, burritos, but never taquitos I NEED HELP!!! I'm sure I can manage the shredded meat filling but how the devil do you put these things together and cook them so as not to dissapoint this little guy?

kadesma
Do you fry your taco shells in fat? If so, after the tortillas, I would just drop the taquitos rolled in advance and held with toothpicks into the pan and shallow fry 'till done. I'm sure you'll get more sophisticated answers and I look forward to reading them, but my approach might be helpful for beginners like me.
__________________
Food fuels the body. Good food fuels body and soul.

"Recipes donít have to be followed EXACTLY and creative diversions can taste great! But too much diversion and you have ice cream in your broccoli." Mike Israetel
skilletlicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 11:34 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire
 
kadesma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: california
Posts: 21,371
Quote:
Originally Posted by skilletlicker
Do you fry your taco shells in fat? If so, after the tortillas, I would just drop the taquitos rolled in advance and held with toothpicks into the pan and shallow fry 'till done. I'm sure you'll get more sophisticated answers and I look forward to reading them, but my approach might be helpful for beginners like me.
Hi skilletlicker,
when I make tacos, i get the corn tortillas and i fry them to just where they just soften enough so you can fold them in half without them cracking, then turn them over leave a second or two and remove them still folded and place on a large cookie sheet open end up to let them cool a little, I line the cookie sheet with paper towels..We like them soft so they don't split when we add the meat and other goodies. I either use lard heaven forbid or just a corn oil..
kadesma
__________________
HEAVEN is Cade, Ethan,Carson, and Olivia,Alyssa,Gianna
kadesma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 12:11 AM   #6
Head Chef
 
skilletlicker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Memphis, TN
Posts: 2,024
Quote:
Originally Posted by kadesma
Hi skilletlicker,
when I make tacos, i get the corn tortillas and i fry them to just where they just soften enough so you can fold them in half without them cracking, then turn them over leave a second or two and remove them still folded and place on a large cookie sheet open end up to let them cool a little, I line the cookie sheet with paper towels..We like them soft so they don't split when we add the meat and other goodies. I either use lard heaven forbid or just a corn oil..
kadesma
What if you softened some up tortillas in the microwave first. Then fill, roll, toothpick and set aside. After the taco shells are cooked, add a little more oil if necessary and the shallow fry the taquitos?
__________________
Food fuels the body. Good food fuels body and soul.

"Recipes donít have to be followed EXACTLY and creative diversions can taste great! But too much diversion and you have ice cream in your broccoli." Mike Israetel
skilletlicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 02:26 AM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire
 
kadesma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: california
Posts: 21,371
Quote:
Originally Posted by skilletlicker
What if you softened some up tortillas in the microwave first. Then fill, roll, toothpick and set aside. After the taco shells are cooked, add a little more oil if necessary and the shallow fry the taquitos?
I could do it that way, never even thought as that MW does not like me But I'll give it a try on several..But frying then first, leaves them soft and pliable and they can stand quite some time before having to use them..Either way I'm going to win this one...Thanks

kadesma
__________________
HEAVEN is Cade, Ethan,Carson, and Olivia,Alyssa,Gianna
kadesma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 06:38 AM   #8
Sous Chef
 
Lugaru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Body: Boston Heart: Mexico
Posts: 857
Send a message via AIM to Lugaru
Now if you ever want to serve this to grownups call it flautas instead of taquitos (I swear Mexican food gets no respect), fry up those rolled tortillas with some shredded beef and potatoes inside. Put a bunch in a shallow bowl and serve with the following:

shredded lettuce
pickled red onions (leave sliced red onion in lime juice and black pepper overnight)
sliced radishes
and lastly a bowl of beef broth on the side to pour on top or enjoy separate
and a couple of good blended salsas.
__________________
My english, she's not so good... I meant to say I did it with the malice of forethought.
THE CONNOISSEURS
Lugaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 06:43 AM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire
 
kadesma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: california
Posts: 21,371
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lugaru
Now if you ever want to serve this to grownups call it flautas instead of taquitos (I swear Mexican food gets no respect), fry up those rolled tortillas with some shredded beef and potatoes inside. Put a bunch in a shallow bowl and serve with the following:

shredded lettuce
pickled red onions (leave sliced red onion in lime juice and black pepper overnight)
sliced radishes
and lastly a bowl of beef broth on the side to pour on top or enjoy separate
and a couple of good blended salsas.
Lu,
thank you for your idea, this looks wonderful and I know my family will enjoy it..Sundays dinner should really be good now.
kadesma
__________________
HEAVEN is Cade, Ethan,Carson, and Olivia,Alyssa,Gianna
kadesma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 11:19 AM   #10
The Dude Abides
 
TATTRAT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bermuda Native in D.C./NoVA
Posts: 5,476
Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lugaru
Now if you ever want to serve this to grownups call it flautas instead of taquitos (I swear Mexican food gets no respect), fry up those rolled tortillas with some shredded beef and potatoes inside. Put a bunch in a shallow bowl and serve with the following:

shredded lettuce
pickled red onions (leave sliced red onion in lime juice and black pepper overnight)
sliced radishes
and lastly a bowl of beef broth on the side to pour on top or enjoy separate
and a couple of good blended salsas.

Flautas are in a flour tortilia though. I prefer them over taquitos, honestly. Then smothered in queso fresco, yum.
__________________
flickr

@JONOBRANDS
TATTRAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 01:04 AM   #11
Sous Chef
 
Lugaru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Body: Boston Heart: Mexico
Posts: 857
Send a message via AIM to Lugaru
Quote:
Originally Posted by TATTRAT
Flautas are in a flour tortilia though. I prefer them over taquitos, honestly. Then smothered in queso fresco, yum.
Honestly I've never seen flautas done with flour, just corn. Are you thinking of chimichangas? That's the only thing we fry in a flour tortilla and that's a north of the border invention anyways...
__________________
My english, she's not so good... I meant to say I did it with the malice of forethought.
THE CONNOISSEURS
Lugaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 08:47 AM   #12
The Dude Abides
 
TATTRAT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bermuda Native in D.C./NoVA
Posts: 5,476
Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
I guess it is one of those takes on it in the US.

Chimichangas are a great accident though, I like those too!
__________________
flickr

@JONOBRANDS
TATTRAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 09:05 AM   #13
Sous Chef
 
BlueCat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: USA, Illinois
Posts: 551
The only flautas I've had are made with corn tortillas. I've always thought that taquitos are the frozen food section equivalent of a flauta, because I don't see taquitos on the menus of the local restaurants, only at grocery stores. My wonderful local Mexican restaurant makes wonderful chicken flautas.

BC
BlueCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 11:07 AM   #14
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Bloomington, IN
Posts: 1,129
Send a message via AIM to college_cook
taquitos literally means "mini tacos" and so are no different than tacos other than size, and that you usually see them deep fried. The taquitos you usually find in america are much closer to flautas than tacos. Flautas can be corn or flour tortilla, and are usually around 8 inches long. Either can have cheese in them, but flautas won't contain frsh vegatables or sour cream inside.
college_cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 01:01 PM   #15
Cook
 
phantomtigger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 61
Send a message via Yahoo to phantomtigger
My brother asks for these every year on his birthday. We make about 50-60 at a time, and they're great! We call them flautas. We just fry the corn tortillas for a few seconds in oil. Let them drain on paper towels. In a separate bowl, mix chicken, cheese, picante sauce, cumin, and green onion. We roll this up in the tortillas, place them on a cookie sheet, and bake them in the oven (not sure what temperature) till they start to turn crispy. Serve with guacamole, sour cream, and salsa, & I'm good to go!!
phantomtigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
None

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:20 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.