ISO the perfect chilli con carne recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nicklord1

Senior Cook
Hi could you give me some suggestions on the perfect chilli con carne recipe.

Thanks

Well Nick - that is a whole can of worms. Perfection is indeed in the eye of the beholder. There is a whole big debate as to wether or not to include beans. The amount of spice is very much up to your taste. This is my recipe that I teach to the kids at school
Chilli

Ingredients

1 tablespoon Sunflower oil (do not bring)
1 medium size onion
1 teaspoon chilli powder (do not bring)
500g lean minced beef
14 oz can of chopped tomatoes
5 tablespoons tomato puree
15 oz can of red kidney beans
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce (do not bring)
1 teaspoon Wine vinegar (do not bring)
1 teaspoon sugar (do not bring)
salt and pepper (do not bring)

Method:

1 Chop the onions. Heal the oil in a pan.
2 Add the onion and cook for 3 minutes to soften.
3 Add the chilli powder and cook stirring, for 2 minutes
4 Add the mince and brown.
5 Stir in the tomatoes and tomato puree and then add all the remaining ingredients.
6 Bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 1 hour.

That could provide a base for you to work on. A number of the others use cubed meat instead of mince. The overall flavour can also be improved by adding a few squares of good dark chocolate.

Nick, check out some earlier threads in the Chili sub-forum under the Soups, Stews and Casseroles forum. Chili is as varied as the number of people cooking it.

I think that this has to be the best recipe for chili ever!

(it seems I can't post links yet so just search google for "nigella chili con carne" - it is the top listing)

I have made it with and without the topping and both work really well. I think the spices and the cocoa is what makes this great... I really do not like chilli that only contains chilli as the only spice (sorry Miniman!!) as I find it lacks any fragrance. I have also tried versions that include Worcestershire sauce and it pains me to say (as I was brought up around the corner from the original Worcestershire sauce factory in Worcester!!) that I really don't think it adds anything useful.

Nigella also does a no-meat version of this based on lentils and that is really nice too (I know that is hard to believe!).

Give it a try and let me know what you think.

Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom