ISO your favourite type of dumpling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

masteraznchefjr

Sous Chef
Hello, I am in charge of my club's dumpling night and I would like to see what type of dumplings you guys like.

Also, any ideas for a dumpling dessert. I remember there was a dumpling place in NYC chinatown that had a chocolate dumpling

I make one with baked sweet potato instead of white potato...

After boiling I then add to a pan of:

just browned butter
about a tbs of poppy seed
then parsley

it could have cinnamin or nutmeg or ginger, I bet, for more dessert like

Eric, Austin Tx.

Hefekloesse (yeast dumplings)

250g Flour
15g yeast
1/2 ts sugar
1 eggyolk
25g soft butter
1/2 ts salt

about 3 litres saltwater for cooking

make a yeast dough from the ingridients and let rest.
form small dumplings with your hands, cover with a cloth and let rest for another 25min.

Bring the water to cook.

Version 1)
put the dumplings into the water, cover and boil up.
Then reduce heat and brew (?) another 12min.

Version 2)
is more difficult to explain.
cover the water pot with the cooking water with a clean cotton cloth and place the dumplings on it.
Cover with a big bowl or something like this and steam for about 12-15min.

serve hot with melted butter, Blueberries, Vanillasauce, Plums or grounded poppy seeds and sugar.

It also tastes great, if you hide a plum in the dumplings and serve it with melted butter and sugar and cinnamon.

another one you find here:
silesian poppy seed dumplings

With my 100% Czech heritage on both sides of the family, I have to say I love the plain, bland, easy-to-make Czech bread dumplings everyone in my family has been making for years. Nothing better for sopping up savory gravy, & leftovers are terrific fried in an obscene amount of butter stirred into scrambled eggs.

Enjoy!

CZECH BREAD DUMPLINGS
2 cups flour
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 cup milk
4 slices of white bread - either stale or toasted, cubed
1 egg

Bring a large pot of water to a full boil. In large mixing bowl, lightly beat egg. Add flour & baking powder & mix again. Add milk & cubed bread & combine thoroughly. With lightly floured hands, form balls of approximate tennis ball size & drop into boiling water. Allow to cook for 10 minutes, then flip balls over & cook for another 10 minutes. Remove & allow to cool before slicing.

Leftovers are easily reheated in hot gravy or in the microwave, & make a delicious addition to scrambled eggs when cubed & browned in butter.

Oh, & while I don't have a recipe at the moment (although I can get one from my dad), another Czech dumpling favorite are fruit dumplings, where the dumpling dough is molded around fresh peaches & plums & served topped with cinnamon, sour cream, & cottage cheese. However, this was a dessert that was only served in the late summer when fresh fruit was available, either local or from our own trees. It's not something you'd want to make from - sniff - rock-hard imported fruit.

Cara - I don't have a clue what "Czech Quark Dumplings" are, but I'll ask my parents. I'm thinking that the cheese wasn't called "Quark" back then, & may have just been some sort of Farmers' Cheese. But again, I'll ask.

I had just made a Hoisen and scallion Lemongrass Chicken

I will post a recipee soon.

It was out of this world

For a dessert, apple dumplings are my favorite!

Peel and core a big juicy apple, place it on a circle of pie crust, stuff the inside with butter, sugar and cinnamon, wrap with the crust and bake in 350 oven until pie crust is golden and juices are bubbling.

It is always so hard to pick and most cultures have at least one, if not several. If I had to pick it would be Korean yaki mandoo.

Polish pierogies stuffed with mashed potatoes, topped with caramelized onions. Or Japanese pork and shrimp gyoza with soy sauce-mirin-ginger dipping sauce.

For a dessert, apple dumplings are my favorite!

Peel and core a big juicy apple, place it on a circle of pie crust, stuff the inside with butter, sugar and cinnamon, wrap with the crust and bake in 350 oven until pie crust is golden and juices are bubbling.

yummy, very nice

I've never made dumplings before. I remember I had something called a "slider" - is that a type of dumpling? I would love to have the recipe if anyone has it!

Back
Top Bottom