Japanese cuisine

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TooTall

Assistant Cook
Hey

I've been eating as much Japanese food as I can get my hands on lately, what's everyone's favourite??? Ramen? Udon? Bento? Teriyaki?

:)

Gyoza, Miso soup, tempura, teriyaki... It's all good. Not a big fan of sushi though. One of my favorite Japanese restaurants is Kobe (Japanese Steak House), outside of Palm Springs.

Kobe Japanese Steak House

I'm fairly open to anything but raw squid and raw or cooked octopus. I have a Japanese cookbook I've been working my way through. It's English on one side and Japanese on the other. I got it hoping it would help me with learning Japanese.

I like it all but grilled items are probably my favorite. Sashimi and everything else still rock and are eaten in combonation with grilled items.

I'm totally into yakitori now that I'm planning on building a 3 feet long, all steel yakitori grill. Importing one from Japan is way too expensive as I have priced several. I can weld one up and already have a design thought in my head.
I've been doing yakitori lately using makeshift setups on charcoal grills and hibachis. Bit I need a dedicated grill where I can have people sit around and socialize while grilling and drinking as I play chef.

Last edited:
I love shrimp shumai, sushi, seafood sukiyaki, tempura, steamed tile fish with ginger, etc.

Too many to count. My mother was a military wife, and seemed to wind up with Japanese girlfriends. As a child my favorite was suki yaki. Then, as an adult, I moved to Hawaii, and this non-fish-loving woman (also a military vet and wife) fell in love with sushi and sashimi. When I have a yen for fried food, tempura. Do not ask me why my mother's friends were all Japanese. Military life is funny -- all of my childhood friends had French mothers, with the exception of one, and she was French-Canadian.

I'm fairly open to anything but raw squid and raw or cooked octopus. I have a Japanese cookbook I've been working my way through. It's English on one side and Japanese on the other. I got it hoping it would help me with learning Japanese.

that's a great idea! i've learned a lot of spanish from riding subways and sitting in pubs in nyc where many signs are side by side in spansh and english.

did you know no se apoye contra la puerta, or you could fall out.

or la via del tren subterraneo es peligrosa. you could get run over or electrocuted.

siga las instrucciones de la policia or del tren crew. or again, you might get arrested or hurt, respectively.

no fumar, please. i don't like second hand smoke.

and una mujer embarazada nunca toma sola. so don't buy a mommy to be a drink.
:cool:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom