Kicka$$ Paella for Chopstix

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ChefJune

Master Chef
Sorry this has taken me so long to post, chopstix, but hope you enjoy it. this recipe is a "Golden Oldie." I started searching for Paella recipes after first enjoying it at a now long-gone restaurant in LA called El Matador. This one has evolved after long years of making it... Sometimes I add clams and/or mussels in their shells at the end, and let them open from the residual heat,

Kicka$$ Paella

makes 6 to 8 servings

1 1/2 pounds pork loin, center cut
2 chicken breasts (4 halves) boneless and skinless
1 pound sliced leg of veal, pounded thin as for scaloppini
1/4 pound chicken livers
2 sweet red peppers (or canned pimientos)
2 green peppers
1 pound raw shrimp
1 pound fresh peas, shelled or 1 10-ounce package frozen baby peas
Olive Oil
1/2 pound Spanish chorizo sausage in 1/4-inch slices
1/4 pound fresh mushrooms, thinly sliced
3 large cloves garlic, extremely finely chopped
1 large Spanish onion, extremely finely chopped
1/4 teaspoon saffron threads
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
2 cups long grain rice
4 to 5 cups chicken stock (if canned, use low sodium)
1/2 pound bay scallops
sea salt and freshly ground pepper

1. Remove bone and fat from pork. Cut into 1’’inch squares, 3/4-inch thick. Cut chicken crosswise into 1-inch chunks. Cut veal into 1-inch squares. Cut chicken liver pairs into halves. Cut peppers into 1/2-inch squares, discarding stem end, seeds and membranes. Using a scissors, cut through back and underside shells of shrimp, leaving shells and tails intact. Shell fresh peas.

2. Heat 1/2 cup olive oil in paella pan, Sauté pork until browned. Remove from pan. Sauté chicken, chorizo and chicken livers until light brown; remove from pan. Sauté peppers and mushrooms until just barely tender, adding more oil to pan if necessary; remove from pan.

3. Wash and dry pan.

4. Add 1/2 cup oil and heat over low flame. Add garlic, onion, saffron, oregano and rice, stirring constantly for 5 minutes. Add chicken broth, and all the rest of the food you have sautéed. Bring liquid to a boil. If chicken broth is unseasoned, add 1 to 2 teaspoons sea salt. Reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes. Add peas and shrimp. simmer about 5 minutes longer, stirring gently, but as little as possible.

4. Serve at once.

Last edited:
I've got some Spanish chorizo and didn't really know what to do with it - thanks for the recipe - this looks like a good use for it!

kitchenelf said:
I've got some Spanish chorizo and didn't really know what to do with it - thanks for the recipe - this looks like a good use for it!

There are two kinds--hard, which is cured or cooked or something. and then "loose" that needs to be browned and cooked like sausage.

ChefJune, thanks so much! Really appreciate it! This sounds like it would kick up some serious b*tt! Never had veal, chicken livers, mushrooms, and oregano in paella before. Can't wait to try this out in my search for the best paella recipe!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom