Kimchi jjigae, Korean kimchi stew.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

powerplantop

Executive Chef
Ingredients:

1 Tablespoon oil
1/2 yellow onion sliced
8 oz of pork sliced
3 green onions diced
1/2 Tablespoon Korean red pepper flakes
1/2 Tablespoon garlic
4 cups old sour kimchi with juice
1/4 cup extra kimchi juice
Korean style beef stock (or water)as needed

Add oil to pot, add onion and cook until just soft.
Add pork and cook just until it's not pink.
Add red pepper flakes, garlic, kimchi and juice cook for one hour adding beef stock as needed to prevent it drying out.

Kimchi jjigae. by powerplantop, on Flickr

And if we don't have Korean chile flakes, what would be a good substitute?

I would not add anything. Most other pepper flakes taste different. It adds a little more heat. But if your not a big fan of heat you may not need it.

What a weird coincidence. We just got home from our favorite Korean restaurant and this is what I had tonight. Their version didn't look quite as pretty as yours, but it sure was delicious. Thanks for posting the recipe. I'm going to have to try this.

img_1280055_0_eec6e2fafd62865fda371ab11b40301b.jpg

What a weird coincidence. We just got home from our favorite Korean restaurant and this is what I had tonight. Their version didn't look quite as pretty as yours, but it sure was delicious. Thanks for posting the recipe. I'm going to have to try this.

That is quite the coincidence.

Its been quite awhile but Hoban was one of the better Korean places in the area when I was on a project in St Paul.

That is quite the coincidence.

Its been quite awhile but Hoban was one of the better Korean places in the area when I was on a project in St Paul.
Another coincidence... Hoban is the restaurant where we ate tonight.

I agree, they have good food. It's also somewhat inexpensive and close to where we live, so we eat there maybe once every couple of months. We have some friends who spent several years teaching in Korea who first recommended it to us. Great stuff!

I agree, they have good food. It's also somewhat inexpensive and close to where we live, so we eat there maybe once every couple of months. We have some friends who spent several years teaching in Korea who first recommended it to us. Great stuff!

I saw the name on one of your dishes. LOL

My hotel was in Eagan. Two other places I loved close by were Jensen's Supper Club and Mediterranean Cruise Cafe.

I saw the name on one of your dishes. LOL

My hotel was in Eagan. Two other places I loved close by were Jensen's Supper Club and Mediterranean Cruise Cafe.
Ha ha... didn't notice the name on the dish.

Jensen's is still around, but Mediterranean Cruise went upscale and moved into a new building in Burnsville. They serve the same food, but now charge twice as much for it.

Ha ha... didn't notice the name on the dish.

Jensen's is still around, but Mediterranean Cruise went upscale and moved into a new building in Burnsville. They serve the same food, but now charge twice as much for it.

Looks like I will not be going back to Mediterranean Cruise I liked the owner, as soon as he found out I had been to Jordan and liked it I was in. I just cant see paying twice the price for what they served. It was good but...

Ya know it says "HOBAN" on the inside of one of the bowls...

I used to go to the New No Da Ji, a defunct buffet/sushi restaurant in Baltimore, and could fill up on just their jigue[sp? - the same thing?] (which was very spicy but just a dark broth) with spring onions and rice. It was great for clearing your sinuses. Their bulgogi was good too, spicier than most, and they had radish kimchi. But they went downhill and closed.

Back
Top Bottom