Last Supper

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hoot

Executive Chef
Moderator Emeritus
Not sure if this is the proper place for this thread. I ran across an interesting article about what may or may not have been served at the Last Supper.
I do not wish to have this turn into a religious discussion. But, I was wondering if there is anyone here who may have some insight on ancient food traditions for that part of the world at that time.
Here is a link to the article I read.
Last Supper Menu - Jesus's Last Supper - Delish.com
Maybe this will turn into a very interesting topic.
What do y'all think about this?

it is interesting, but outside of bread and wine, anything else is speculation. you can't even use any version of a bible as a source since they were written many, many years later.

the best way to go would be to try to accurately research what poor people would have had at a seder at that time, which would be nearly impossible since the facts of such would have been influenced by the change in time over 2 millenia.

it is interesting, but outside of bread and wine, anything else is speculation. you can't even use any version of a bible as a source since they were written many, many years later.

the best way to go would be to try to accurately research what poor people would have had at a seder at that time, which would be nearly impossible since the facts of such would have been influenced by the change in time over 2 millenia.
Yep. They as much as said so in the article, but they were determined to get an article out of it. :LOL: It is an interesting topic though, but since the food was not the focus, no one wrote it down. :)

wouldn't you have loved to be there to see what they ate?

oh yeah, and to meet jesus too, lol.

Let's see, Thursday is payday so they probably ordered take-out. What else would you expect a dozen or so guys out on their own for the evening to do.

They probably ordered from JFC (Jerusalem Fried Couscous). With sides of hummus and pita. Toss in the special black olives stuffed with goat cheese and you're done.

Interesting topic, thanks for starting the thread.

I saw this the other day and it may apply here. I don't think the Last Supper is specifically mentioned, but it is interesting to read.

http://www.beliefnet.com/Health/Healthy-Living/10-Foods-and-Drinks-Jesus-Likely-Consumed.aspx

Olives and olive oil are mentioned and I would think they very well could have been part of the meal.

ETA: I found this in the article: "The “sop” used to dip bread in during the Last Supper may have been or contained olive oil."

Read more: http://www.beliefnet.com/Health/Hea...-Jesus-Likely-Consumed.aspx?p=5#ixzz1KHOiOXSL

Last edited:
Fish was a very important food source in that region, and in that time period. I would think that dried or smoked fish would have been easily obtained. Put that together with unleavened bread, and some wine and you have a meal.

Of course this is pure speculation. And Andy, I love your answer. It made me grin.:D

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Here ya go. I Googled it ;)

What was served in Jesus' last supper?

Passover FoodTotalRecipeSearch.com

Search Hundreds of Passover Recipes Get 1000s of Recipes in One Toolbar
Ads

[Improve]
abar_a.gif

Answer

You get somewhat of a clue when Jesus gives the disciples communion. They had wine and unleavened bread (without yeast).​

As this was a Passover Seder meal observance, the following would have been served, as a minimum:​

Matzah - unleavened bread.​

Wine​

Maror and Chazeret - two sorts of various bitter herbs....possibilities include lettuce, endive, pepper grass,or watercress.​

Karpas - a vegetable dipped in salt water and vinegar.​

Z'roar - roasted lamb shank.​

Most likely a very rough red wine, closer to vinegar, being more affordable and accessible.

Unleavened bread, likely made with ground Amaranth or Millet.
So, it sounds like they were the first to eat gluten free! ;)

This is interesting. There is a book out which is half history and half recipes, speculating how people ate at that time. I never bought it but skimming through it at Chapters was very interesting. If I can remember the title I will post it in this thread.

Very interesting reading indeed....AND the links within the article. I've personally concluded (which really means nothing), that there's no reason to believe this holy night would have been anything other than a typical Seder of the time. Leonardo DiVinci seemed to think they ate eels and oranges, as after the 1997 restoration of the painting it seems to have revealed images of plates of grilled eel with orange slices. Keep in mind he was an Italian, likely to have been influenced by his favorite foods.:rolleyes: It would be highly unlikely that Jesus would have eaten eel as eel is not Kosher.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom