Little Italian Pepper

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

B'sgirl

Sous Chef
Several years ago the guy I was dating at the time made me this delicious spaghetti sauce. He learned how to make it in Italy and it had this skinny, red, dried pepper about 1 to 1 1/2 inches long. It was a pretty hot pepper (his friends dared me to eat one whole) but not too hot. It made the sauce just spicy enough to clear your sinuses out a bit. I really want to make this sauce for my family but I can't remember what the pepper is called. Does anyone know?

Several years ago the guy I was dating at the time made me this delicious spaghetti sauce. He learned how to make it in Italy and it had this skinny, red, dried pepper about 1 to 1 1/2 inches long. It was a pretty hot pepper (his friends dared me to eat one whole) but not too hot. It made the sauce just spicy enough to clear your sinuses out a bit. I really want to make this sauce for my family but I can't remember what the pepper is called. Does anyone know?

It sounds like a serrano pepper that was allowed to mature to red. Here's a visual guide to peppers: Visual guide to peppers

And here's a recipe for the sauce: Recipes : Arrabbiata Sauce : Food Network

HTH.

Last edited:
Use the same pepper pods you would use to make Kung Pao chicken. Those are the same type of pepper you get when you buy crushed red pepper in a shaker jar.

Ooh, thanks! Especially for the recipe! It could be one of the capsicum peppers (one of those is used in the Kung Pao so you must be right, Caine). I swear the name was something like Perichino, but they guy was fluent in Italian, he may not know an English term for it. But I think I'll see if I can find a capsicum and give it a try and I'll post how it goes.

Back
Top Bottom