"Little Slippers" - Melitzanes Papoutsakia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

*amy*

Washing Up
I adore eggplant!!! Thought I tried every recipe there was - but came across these "Little Slippers" with a bechamel/nutmeg sauce Topped w sliced tomato - & wanted to share.

Melitzanes Papoutsakia - Little Eggplant Shoes

Note: I would use ground lamb in place of ground beef, but sure either would be equally as yummy.

Last edited:
I'd use lamb too! Yummy. I'd also leave out the nutmeg and add garlic.

Thanks!!

I'd use lamb too! Yummy. I'd also leave out the nutmeg and add garlic.

Thanks!!

Welcome, pds :)There's some garlic in the tomato mixture - But you can never have too much garlic. ;) Love the nutmeg, as I use it in my bechamel for Pastitsio, but sure one could tweak it to suit one's tastes. I add cinnamon & a little tomato paste to my meat mixture, as well as raisins. I'm thinking of adding some toasted pine nuts as well.

Last edited:
The pinenuts sound good. I agree there's never toooo much garlic!

I like cinnamon and nutmeg in desserts but... can't handle them in meat dishes.
So... I'd leave both out. I think it has to do with the smell. I'm not sure. Luckily hubby agrees. Either way... HAPPY COOKING!

Welcome, pds :)There's some garlic in the tomato mixture - But you can never have too much garlic. ;) Love the nutmeg, as I use it in my bechamel for Pastitsio, but sure one could tweak it to suit one's tastes. I add cinnamon & a little tomato paste to my meat mixture, as well as raisins. I'm thinking of adding some toasted pine nuts as well.
I love that, too. It is sooo Greek.

mmmmmmmm Pastitsio.... wish I had the ingredients in the house. It would be perfect for this frigid weather we're having.

These sound really good, *amy.*

I loooove eggplant. I'm going to try this this weekend. I was looking for something new to try this weekend and this is it :chef:

I'll let you know how it turns out!

I've never seen ground lamb in my area though as someone mentioned subbing that for the beef. What do you all think about ground pork or turkey?

I loooove eggplant. I'm going to try this this weekend. I was looking for something new to try this weekend and this is it :chef:

I'll let you know how it turns out!

I've never seen ground lamb in my area though as someone mentioned subbing that for the beef. What do you all think about ground pork or turkey?

Sounds Yum to me, jeninga. :) I'm thinking - make some extra bechamel & pour over ziti or penne (for a side), Greek salad, & the little cheese pies for dessert (same site). Let us know how your "Little Slippers" turn out. :chef:

Last edited:
I love that, too. It is sooo Greek.

mmmmmmmm Pastitsio.... wish I had the ingredients in the house. It would be perfect for this frigid weather we're having.

These sound really good, *amy.*

Mmmmm Pastitsio. Luv it too! Greek comfort food. :) We're expecting several days of slamming rain storms - or I'd run out for an eggplant or two too. Both would make some nice Main Attractions for a dinner party.

Wow! How yummy were these! The only thing that went wrong was that the bechamel sauce was too thin. I did it the way it said and it was fine... until I added 1 egg yolk. Then it got thin for some reason. Also, it says nutmeg, but not how much. Other than that, very good. Oh, and I used ground turkey. I was going to use lamb but they didnt have any.

Attachments

• eggplant.jpg
    eggplant.jpg
    244.4 KB · Views: 308
Wow! How yummy were these! The only thing that went wrong was that the bechamel sauce was too thin. I did it the way it said and it was fine... until I added 1 egg yolk. Then it got thin for some reason. Also, it says nutmeg, but not how much. Other than that, very good. Oh, and I used ground turkey. I was going to use lamb but they didnt have any.

Ooooo. That does look delish, jeninga. Turkey sounds like a good idea too. Sorry the Bechamel was thin. Thank you for sharing the pic & the thumbs up. :chef:

Back
Top Bottom