Looking for a good Eggplant Parmesan Recipe.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lee Vining

Senior Cook
My favorite Eggplant is at Dan Tannas in West Hollywood Ca.

I sit at the crowded bar in the exact spot where Henley and Frey sat when they observed and composed Lyin' Eyes.

Of course with the Covid that has been and still is out for now.

Anyone have a good recipe, sauce and all?

Thanks.

My recipe is pretty classic..I like to slice the eggplant and then salt it, lay it out on a cookie sheet, layer some paper towel on top and on the bottom, lay another cookie sheet on top and then I use a cast iron pan to add weight on top..after about half an hour or 45 minutes they have drained. Then I flour them and fry them in olive oil and onto another paper towel..I then layer with marinara, and some fresh parmesan..top with some mozzarella and a drizzle of more olive oil and some fresh herbs if I have any..bake for around 45 minutes at 350 and I let it sit for a good half an hour so it settles and comes out in one piece when you cut and serve..Like I said, classic..I love the stuff..my gf isn't crazy about the texture but I could eat it before pasta lasagne any day..I've used meat sauce with it also..good stuff..

Last edited:
My recipe is pretty classic..I like to slice the eggplant and then salt it, lay it out on a cookie sheet, layer some paper towel on top and on the bottom, lay another cookie sheet on top and then I use a cast iron pan to add weight on top..after about half an hour or 45 minutes they have drained. Then I flour them and fry them in olive oil and onto another paper towel..I then layer with marinara, and some fresh parmesan..top with some mozzarella and a drizzle of more olive oil and some fresh herbs if I have any..bake for around 45 minutes at 350 and I let it sit for a good half an hour so it settles and comes out in one piece when you cut and serve..Like I said, classic..I love the stuff..my gf isn't crazy about the texture but I could eat it before pasta lasagne any day..I've used meat sauce with it also..good stuff..

I like that. Clever tricks.
Thanks.

I don't do layers in a baking pan/casserole. I hate soggy Eggplant Parmesan.

Here's a link to my recipe if you're interested.

Ms. Mofet's Eggplant Parmesan

eggplant_parmesan_070311_P1080706.JPG

My favorite Eggplant is at Dan Tannas in West Hollywood Ca.
I sit at the crowded bar in the exact spot where Henley and Frey sat when they observed and composed Lyin' Eyes.
Of course with the Covid that has been and still is out for now.
Anyone have a good recipe, sauce and all?
Thanks.
Very cool story! How is the eggplant made? Casserole or individual slices?

My recipe is one I culled from a litle mom & pop restaurant on Lun Gyland back about 30 years ago. It is called Mulignan a la Sicilian, or Sicilian eggplant in English. It's a bit more complicated than eggplant parmigiana but, IMHO, it is much better, and more impressive to guests.

Mulignan* a la Sicilian
Ingredients:

2 medium sized eggplants
Kosher salt
½ lb ground beef
¼ lb ground pork
¼ lb ground veal
1 quart of homemade tomato sauce (no jarred or canned sauce, please)
1½ cups of Ricotta Cheese
1½ cups of grated Parmesan cheese
2 cups of shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
1 egg
Light olive oil

Instructions:

Preheat oven to 375F.

Slice the eggplant about ⅛-inch thick. Place the slices on racks with paper towels underneath. Sprinkle both sides liberally with kosher salt and let stand fifteen minutes. Rinse thoroughly under cold running water, place on dry paper towels and pat dry.

While the eggplant is purging, combine the beef, pork and veal and brown them in light olive oil. Mix the ground meat with enough of your sauce to create a thick "sloppy joe" consistency, heat through, and set aside to cool.

Mix the three cheeses and the egg together in a large bowl, reserving ½ cup of the mozzarella cheese.

In a non-stick skillet, lightly brown the eggplant slices in olive oil on both sides. The eggplant will really soak up the oil, so use it sparingly.

Lightly cover the bottom of a 13- x 9-inch baking dish (you can use large ramekins to make individual servings) with tomato sauce. Place eggplant slices in an overlapping single layer on the bottom of the baking dish. Divide ½ of the meat mixture and ½ of the cheese mixture evenly over the eggplant slices. Add a second layer of overlapping eggplant slices and evenly distribute the remaining meat mixture and the remaining cheese mixture over the eggplant slices. Add the remaining eggplant slices and cover them with sauce and the reserved ½ cup of mozzarella, and cover the baking dish with aluminum foil, sprayed with non-stick spray, sprayed side down.

Bake, covered, at 375F for 45 minutes, remove the foil, and bake for an additional 15 minutes, until the mozzarella is brown and bubbly. Let stand for 15 to 30 minutes. Serve with the remaining tomato sauce.

* Yes, I am fully aware of the derogatory connotation of this word, but in the Sicilian dialect, which is what I speak, it means eggplant. Always has, always will.

Last edited:
We do individual stacks. I never really liked it casserole style, as it gets soggy and gloppy, then we saw somebody make the stacks. I'll eat eggplant parm anytime now.

Removing the skin is essential. It's bitter.
I've seen it battered & deep fried then into a small dish with sauce and cheese then under the salamander which in some form is maybe the way Dan Tanas finishes it.
Dan Tanas sauce is fantastic and may be what puts it over the top.

Removing the skin is essential. It's bitter.
I've seen it battered & deep fried then into a small dish with sauce and cheese then under the salamander which in some form is maybe the way Dan Tanas finishes it.
Dan Tanas sauce is fantastic and may be what puts it over the top.

I keep the skin on. Less work. I salt my eggplant slices, let it drain for an hour. Then I flour, dip in egg and then bread crumbs. Fry in EVOO and then bake them.

Start the sauce ahead: I use our greenhouse Roma tomatoes pureed, but quality canned ones are fine. Start the chopped garlic in cold olive oil and sizzle 'til barely brown, then add spices: basil, oregano, marjoram, rosemary, thyme and sage. Stir a few times and add dry red wine. When it bubbles, add the tomatoes, reducing to a simmer after it boils. Stir regularly and add salt and black pepper to taste. When it's reduced/thickened, turn the burner off. Reducing the sauce is the key to warding off the soggy blues.

Present hybrid varieties of eggplant have less of the bitter taste that salting was meant to remove. So I just slice it (1-1.5 cm), flour it (skin on), and fry it in olive oil. Meanwhile, grate mozzarella and parmesan cheese. Lightly oil the pan and spread a layer of sauce.

gkaal8R.jpg

Arrange the fried slices, trying to fill as much space as possible. Then spoon sauce over the layer and add the grated cheese 'til the sauce is mostly hidden. Then start another layer and repeat the process. If you have fresh basil, strew it about with a free hand. I usually do three layers, then cover generously with sauce and add the remaining cheese (a bit heavier on the parmesan).

jGBRcSk.jpg

Fresh basil makes a nice topping, with a light spray of olive oil. The oven is preheated to 350° and the pan is covered with foil or roasting wrap. After about 40 minutes, the foil comes off and it stays in for another 30-40 minutes. If the melted cheese hasn't browned, you can give it a short time under the low broiler.

PDUx6nO.jpg

As you can see, it's not swimming in sauce or water and the slices and toppings are distinct.

I serve it with a simple green salad, crusty bread, and a rustic red wine: Italian primitivo or sangiovese, or good California zinfandel.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom