Magg Seasoning: Thai Food

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Claire

Master Chef
Tonight for dinner I'm making a dish called Pad Tap Gai. One of the ingredients called for is Maggi seasoning. I'm going to work around it this time rather than make a special trip to the next town to find it. Do any of you know what this is, and what might substitute for it? The recipe should be great whether I used it or not, but I'm just curious about it.

I got this description from a website that sells the stuff. You can fund it via google if you like.

'High quality Asian seasoning from Maggi of Switzerland. Ingredients: water, hydrolyzed corn gluten and soy protein, salt, artificial flavor. A few drops adds a unique flavor to just about anything. A little goes a long way--experiment with it. Product of China."

Claire said:
Tonight for dinner I'm making a dish called Pad Tap Gai. One of the ingredients called for is Maggi seasoning. I'm going to work around it this time rather than make a special trip to the next town to find it. Do any of you know what this is, and what might substitute for it? The recipe should be great whether I used it or not, but I'm just curious about it.

It's a liquid seasoning made from wheat gluten,hydrolyzed
corn gluten,disodium inosinate and disodium guanylate. A product from the 50's made in different countries to suit
that individual market.......the asian maggie is different from
the american maggie.Basically a food enhancer like salt,but
derived from gluten much like MSG and you can substitute
MSG if you want.

I can assure you thai food and this product have nothing in common and leaving it out would probably make all the thai
chefs around the world cheer.

I would recommend something like a black thai soy sauce
or a nam pla a thai fish sauce.You could also sub a good
tamari sauce or even a good quality chinese soy.imo

I have actually read that the Maggi seasoning you are refering to is a mixture of soy sauce and Worcestershire sauce in a ratio of 1:1.

This seasoning is one of the key ingredients in a chicken/pork/salad roll which a Vietnamese bakery in Mascot in Sydney (alot of Vietnamese bakeries do it, but this place is the best) sells which has a queue of 20-30 people lining up outside the door at lunchtime.

Maggi is good stuff. Your dish will probably turn out good even if you omit Maggi, though I'd suggest picking some up to try it. Some Western grocery stores have small bottles on the Asian aisle.

Haggis said:
I have actually read that the Maggi seasoning you are refering to is a mixture of soy sauce and Worcestershire sauce in a ratio of 1:1.

This seasoning is one of the key ingredients in a chicken/pork/salad roll which a Vietnamese bakery in Mascot in Sydney (alot of Vietnamese bakeries do it, but this place is the best) sells which has a queue of 20-30 people lining up outside the door at lunchtime.

Hi, I'm in Sydney too and love pork rolls! Do you know what the other ingredients are by any chance? Is the spead mayo and some sort of fish spread? I would love to try making my own. :)

Cat

Back
Top Bottom