MailOrder Source for Boczek Surowy Wedzony

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Have any of you folks had any luck mail ordering the subject slab bacon in the US?

Bill, in the Saveur magazine issue on Chicago, I believe there is a source listed. There was a BIG article about the Chicago Polish community, with lots of info. Unfortunately, I'm not at the same place as my Saveur, so I can't look.

I'm curious Bill....What is this, other than the obvious. How is it cured? Smoked? How is it seasoned? Etc.
I don’t know how it’s made but it is mild tasting (not very salty and not overly smoky). I was hoping CharlieD could add some more info. I looks like the attached

Attachments

• slabbacon2.JPG
    slabbacon2.JPG
    20.8 KB · Views: 220
Thanks Bill. I've never heard of it. It looks delicious!! Very meaty. Maybe Miss June can put you on to a source through the magizine she refered to. If it doesn't cost an arm and a leg I might like to give it a try! Good luck and Thanks again!!

Bill - (assuming that Boczek Surowy Wedzony is a Polish bacon) have you tried contacting the folks at:

POLISH DELI
362 Jericho Tpke
Floral Park, NY 11001
(12.4MI from Long Island)
(516) 437-3892

If they don't carry it - they might be able to help you find a source for it, or, if you want to venture into Queens you might try:

Kabanos Polish Meat Market
(718) 386-8913

Szarlotka European Market/Deli
(718) 456-8893

Wawel Meats and Deli
(718) 821-2730

or if Maspeth isn't too far from where you live you might try:

Syrena Market
(718) 326-8328

W-Nassau Meat Market
(718) 326-0997

And, if you want to go to Main Street in Flushing, up around 100th-108th if I remember what I read correctly, there are all kinds of Eastern European shops.

Hope this helps you track some down ....

Last edited:
Thanks Mike for the research. Last time I bought a five pound slab, at $4.00 per pound, was over a year ago in a town 30 miles from me (Riverhead). Last time I was there they indicated they were no longer carrying it. The Brooklyn and Maspeth stores are about 100 miles from me. I understand these are trivial distances by Texan standards but a 200 mile round trip would add about $50 to the cost of the bacon. That's why I was inquiring about a recommendation for a mail order source.

Whereabout on long island are you? Im on LI also, and have a Polish employee who may be able to give more info where you can find it locally. ( by the way, im in the port jeff area )

Saveur - City of Pork

Think that may be the article that Chef June was referring to.

That is the article, and in the back of the mag, there's a section called "The Pantry," where they give contacts for sources. For this one, they give Stan Bobak... who does not ship his products, but it says here that they will give you info on distributors in your area. -- their phone: 773/735-5334, and web site: Bobak Sausage Company

Good Luck!

That is the article, and in the back of the mag, there's a section called "The Pantry," where they give contacts for sources. For this one, they give Stan Bobak... who does not ship his products, but it says here that they will give you info on distributors in your area. -- their phone: 773/735-5334, and web site: Bobak Sausage Company

Good Luck!
Thanks June, so far it looks like Andy's Deli is about the only source who will ship. But I think second day air is pretty expensive for ten or so pounds of bacon.

Whereabout on long island are you? Im on LI also, and have a Polish employee who may be able to give more info where you can find it locally. ( by the way, im in the port jeff area )

Thanks for the offer. I'm in Sag Harbor / North Haven - Greenport area. Some sources may still exist in Riverhead. The Hamptons are too gentrified.

Yeah, Riverhead is probably your best bet. Being that far out, probably wouldnt hit anything else until u got to queens.

My friends ( or friends from awhile ago) owned/ co owned a restaurant out in Sag Harbor called ' Oasis' I ve never personally ate there, and i havnt spoken to them in awhile. Just curious if you ever ate there

Yeah, Riverhead is probably your best bet. Being that far out, probably wouldnt hit anything else until u got to queens.

My friends ( or friends from awhile ago) owned/ co owned a restaurant out in Sag Harbor called ' Oasis' I ve never personally ate there, and i havnt spoken to them in awhile. Just curious if you ever ate there

Neither have I. I think it was a place at the foot of the bridge on route 114, frequented by the younger crowd, and only open in the summer.

Back
Top Bottom