Making a "praline" from spring roll pastry?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

johG

Assistant Cook
Hi all.

I am making some sort of a deconstructed sushi dish, and I was wondering if anyone here has tried making a "praline" from spring roll pastry, sesame oil and sesamy seeds -> oven until it's crispy. I guess praline is the wrong term, but I can't remember the correct term.

If so, what kind of spring roll pastry should I use? And by the way, I don't want it to be too fatty, so I want to avoid deep frying it.

Spring rolls are made from rice flour, which doesn't have the same properties as wheat flour from which traditional pastry is made. I imagine if you moistened rice paper with water to soften it, then brushed with sesame oil and sprinkled with the seeds, you would get the result you want. I'd do it with a low temperature oven, like 300F. I think you just need to experiment :) Let us know how it goes.

Spring rolls are made from rice flour, which doesn't have the same properties as wheat flour from which traditional pastry is made. I imagine if you moistened rice paper with water to soften it, then brushed with sesame oil and sprinkled with the seeds, you would get the result you want. I'd do it with a low temperature oven, like 300F. I think you just need to experiment :) Let us know how it goes.
It actually went fine, thanks!

I soaked two thin sheets together with some reduced king crab juice. Added sesame oil, a bit of white+black sesame seeds and some salt. Oven for ~5 min (~300F).

Attachments

• springrollpastry.jpg
    springrollpastry.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 189
Cucumber wrapped: King crab, seaweed, grapefruit, rice, coriander, pickled red chili, spring onion.
With avocado-ginger cream, trout roe, soy sauce and wasabi powder

Attachments

• 20151218_222115.jpg
    20151218_222115.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 185
Back
Top Bottom